Release Reel - SG

Started by Bryan Young, February 01, 2014, 09:09:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Irish Jigger

Has anyone tried removing the ARB to thoroughly clean and lubricate it? I must agree with akfish that it does look hard to get at.

Bryan Young

I will shortly.  I wanted to make sure I as able to get replacement screws.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Irish Jigger

Quote from: Bryan Young on February 05, 2014, 08:11:53 PM

Have you considered metric stainless steel Bryan? Most al alloy reels now have them.

Bryan Young

Quote from: Irish Jigger on February 05, 2014, 08:53:21 PM
Quote from: Bryan Young on February 05, 2014, 08:11:53 PM

Have you considered metric stainless steel Bryan? Most al alloy reels now have them.
I don't have the time to search so I just contacted Wes at Release Reels and ordered a couple so I could take the reel apart further and have replacements as once is a fit tweeked.

I also found this video from CharkBait.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1XiNhRRjBs&feature=player_embedded
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

jcm_101

They are standard size metric screws if you guys are really worried.

Justin Mayer
Truth Reels
(804) 453-3095
Justin@truthreels.com

docjun

Hello guys, our SG just arrived here in the P.I. thanks to a friend who brought it in for us from California. Planning to take the SG out early march for some bottom and jigging for AJ's as well. Would you guys suggest i take the reel apart first and redo lubrication/drag regreasing or just fish with it off the box? Will be using 50# braid with it.
@bnz...with blood all over the deck, looks like a massacre just happened!...hahaha!
Learning a lot here guys, learning a lot!

Bryan Young

Hi DocJun,

Welcome.  I would personally open up the reel to make sure that all things that should be greased is indeed greased, then go for them AJs.

Bryan

docjun

Ok Bryan will do just that... Thanks.

bnz

Another update on this reel and Release as a company.  I was amberjack jigging with a guy who had just bought a new SG and brought it along for this purpose.  On his first drop he hooked up and then bam!, the antireverse went out when fighting the fish.  Release was contacted and the guy told to send the reel in with no questions asked.  I sent Justin at Release a pm asking about this reel and he responded back letting me know this was actually one of the earlier versions without the A/R pawl in it.  Then Justin pm'd me again when I asked how they made the repair on their first gen reels saying,

"I actually just swapped the side case with a new one, replaced his foot with a new one, swapped out his gears, packed his thrust bearing with light grease, added a new cam, and put on a new crank arm/power handle assembly. Oh yeah, I also polished his spool shaft and swapped out his spool bearings with some faster ones that didn't have any grease in them. "

Just wanted to give cudos to Release, and Justin, for their customer service and standing behind their products.

Bryan Young

Justin and Wes are very good guys...and seem truly concerned for fellow fisherman and their reputation for providing a quality reel.

docjun

That's good to hear bnz, only problem is that we are all the way here in Manila  :(
What I would want to know are the parts availability specially the boca ceramic bearings which eventually may have to be replaced, the CF drags I suppose could come from smooth drags/carbontex . Could any of you gentlemen kindly share contacts or links with regards to other parts most specially the bearings. Thanks again.

Bryan Young

I would contact wes and Justin via the site, email or facebook.

docjun

Thanks for the input Bryan...

Bert57

thanks Bryan for the nice Tutorial on the SG Reel. i have an earlier 2013 model with the ergonomic grip. I just had in replaced with the magnum ball handle and looks a feel much better. I like the casting and all that drag for chasing Yellowtail in san diego.  Would like to improve the freespool by using the brass sleeve you made.  Is it possible to buy from you?

thanks Bert

Bryan Young

Quote from: Bert57 on April 25, 2014, 12:48:23 AM
thanks Bryan for the nice Tutorial on the SG Reel. i have an earlier 2013 model with the ergonomic grip. I just had in replaced with the magnum ball handle and looks a feel much better. I like the casting and all that drag for chasing Yellowtail in san diego.  Would like to improve the freespool by using the brass sleeve you made.  Is it possible to buy from you?

thanks Bert
I've studied and studied and based on the design, I'm 90% convinced that I'd doesn't need a sleeve but the bearings needs to be opened, cleaned, and lubed with your favorite untrained thin lubricant.