drag limit

Started by wallacewt, May 17, 2010, 01:14:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wallacewt

hi all,in one of your articles alan you said its time consuming but simple enough to work out the best working drag for any reel.could you pls elaborate a bit m

ore if you havent already done so.thank you .anybody?

alantani

each reel has it's physical limits in terms of the amount of drag that it can deliver.  i know that many reels list maximum drag ranges, but i have found some of them to be not completely reliable. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

wallacewt

ive blown up 2 reels,both my fault.a 975ld,and a shimano,also a fenwick rod.when i examined the rod the wall on one side was twice as thick as the other side,so maybe not totally to blame for that.ive put it all down to the learning curve but no more mistakes. ???

Nemo

When you say blown up, what do you mean? Stripped gears, or other damage?

wallacewt

Quote from: Nemo on May 22, 2010, 11:58:21 PM
both shimano was main gear+pinion gear,stripped teeth,975ld snapped end off spool spindle,left thread inside of drag knob.cam follower went its own way,cost $40aud to replace parts but include new drag washer.$32 lost+broken parts.i was pushing the reels past their physical limits,thanks alan,hence the ? :-\

wallacewt

Quote from: Nemo on May 22, 2010, 11:58:21 PM
just found the invoice.2 post screws,spool spindle,2 cam followers,drag washer,retaining ring+$3.85 del;

Bryan Young

Quote from: wallacewt on May 22, 2010, 10:11:20 PMalso a fenwick rod.when i examined the rod the wall on one side was twice as thick as the other side
Most rods are built thicker on one side than the other.  It's in the proces to make the blank stronger on the spline.  All rod blanks have their limits, even solid fiberglass rods.  Bend it beyond it's capaility, it will snap or splinter.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

wallacewt

Quote from: BryanYoung on May 23, 2010, 07:10:15 AM
Quote from: wallacewt on May 22, 2010, 10:11:20 PMalso a fenwick rod.when i examined the rod the wall on one side was twice as thick as the other side
Most rods are built thicker on one side than the other.  It's in the proces to make the blank stronger on the spline.  All rod blanks have their limits, even solid fiberglass rods.  Bend it beyond it's capaility, it will snap or splinter.
thanks,i didnt know that about blanks