The 349 Project

Started by Rothmar2, January 04, 2019, 10:15:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rothmar2

Wompus Cat

I will dig around and ifin I find one it's yours . Got a jar of misc bearings somewhere here or at shop or back of a car ..............
I THINK those are longer than most ?
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

Wompus Cat

Ok I am awake now  and had the Bearing length bass ackwards plus the id is a hair larger for the bigger shaft Spool .
Really think you Could cut a 49 bearing down and bore(Hone) it just a tad to fit as the Meat of the  Spool shaft would be in the heavy part of the bearing .

Still looking .............
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Chris, I wish that you needed the left side bearing!

Rothmar2

Quote from: Wompus Cat on March 15, 2022, 11:58:02 PMOk I am awake now  and had the Bearing length bass ackwards plus the id is a hair larger for the bigger shaft Spool .
Really think you Could cut a 49 bearing down and bore(Hone) it just a tad to fit as the Meat of the  Spool shaft would be in the heavy part of the bearing .

Still looking .............

So the right end bearing of the 49 has the same thread where it screws into the side plate insert? If it's just a matter of trimming the bearing tube length and honing the bearing ID, that will be easy enough to do.
Funny how the adjustable left end bearings seem to still be available! Might have to grab a few Randy. Will look into seeing if there is something else I need, and make a combined order.

mhc

Yeah, I just checked and the 49 & 349 Head plate bearings have the same thread and like Wompus Cat said, the 49 has a longer tube (by about 5.5mm) and a smaller ID (by about 0.4mm - 3.7 to 3.3 give or take 0.1  :) )
It's been an age since I've looked at my 349 parts stash, I'll have a rummage through some tins on the weekend - I should have a 349 bearing somewhere. It'll be quicker and easier than Wompus or someone sending one over and I've got a gadget I've been meaning to send your way as well.

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Rothmar2

OK, thanks Mike. No need to rush, considering how long it's taken me to finish this project, I am in no hurry for this piece. It just seemed silly not to have all pieces to assemble another.