ugggghhhhh! paypal......

Started by alantani, February 06, 2014, 05:22:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Dominick

Quote from: Unutt on February 28, 2015, 12:42:00 AM
Sounds interesting.  What is a Go Pro?
This is an inside Alan Tani site joke.  Check this link... Dominick  http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=9801.0
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Unutt

I get it now.  I was confused for a few.

So many reels, so little time.

Shark Hunter

We all fell for that one. Hook, Line and Sinker!
The Seller sent worthless coins to make it look like a package was coming.
There was no Go Pro's.
Life is Good!

pennmann

Quote from: floating doc on February 06, 2014, 12:31:49 PM
PayPal is convenient. When it comes to fees, those need to be passed along to the buyers. All of your prices are reasonable.

only problem is that is way against paypal policies, the ones you agreed to when you signed up. seller always pays the fees, just add 3% to selling price and its a wash

TheReelShop

Paypal is great. I use it for selling on eBay, and with customers. Heres a break down Alan and for everyone else.

Fee is 2.9% + $0.30ยข

If seller gets paid via family etc. where there are no fees, then seller benefits saving on the fees. But if a seller does not go through with their part in shipping or whatever the case maybe, then Paypal will not defend or address it since fees weren't paid.

As a seller it really doesn't matter as long as you come thru. For those of you who buy via Paypal always send funds as goods and services to have the protection. In this case using Paypal and sending funds as family to the guys on here like Alan and the rest you will be fine!!

Hope this helps some.

sdlehr

Quote from: Dominick on February 09, 2014, 04:49:29 AM
Quote from: Topshot on February 06, 2014, 05:52:23 AM
Just have them send you the money as a gift and you won't be charged any fees. I've have great success with paypal
Here comes some unsolicited advice.  If it is a gift, no problem.  Otherwise play it straight and pay paypal its fee.  They are a business and provide a valuable service.  Gaming the system does not pay.  Dominick
x2 I used to game the system whenever possible. It's not a route towards happiness. Pay the fee and feel grateful that you can.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Jim Fujitani

Okay, I guess I am a rarity.  I have a Paypal account but refuse to use it.  I neither pay nor receive funds via Paypal.  I will avoid another Paypal transaction if at all possible, for two reasons.  The first reason involved my first transaction.

I opened my Paypal account years ago, at my wife's urging and I don't remember why.  The account was connected to a credit card, that I rarely used. 

About 5 years ago, I sold some fishing tackle to a Canadian.  The transaction was conducted via Paypal (the only way the deal could be done that was mutually agreeable).  I confirmed that the funds had shown up in my Paypal account and I shipped the tackle (Just FYI; I learned that Post (mail) is very slow in the back quarters of some of the Canadian provinces.).  I checked with Paypal to have them send me a check (preferred since again, I rarely use the connected credit card so a credit to that account would do me no good).  They gave me a song and dance about the steps required and succeeded to discourage me and talked me into just leaving the funds "on account" with Paypal.

A couple years later, I inquired Paypal about my account balance.  The agents on the phone said I had no balance.  I asked to speak to a supervisor.  It took him no time to check my Paypal account and he said that I had purchased an item with those funds.  I had not, but later confirmed with our adult daughter that she had used the funds to make a purchase, with my wife's okay.  My wife thought that Paypal was connected to one of her credit cards.  This will never happen again.

Then last year, Paypal e-mailed me, letting me know that my Paypal account had been updated with my new credit card info.  I had not give them any new info, or authorization to update.  A supervisor told me that the bank and credit card companies provided the update info.  Afterwards, I spoke to supervisors with my bank and the credit card company and they both assured me that they would not give the info to Paypal, even just a renewed CC number and new security code would be violation of trust and banking laws.  So, who lied and how did Paypal get the updated info?

And I urge people to not get/use debit cards.  The only benefit to the consumer is ease of use.  They are a tool that financially benefits only banks and merchants.  They do not have the safeguards that even credit cards have.  Identity thieves that penetrate your debit card accounts can clean you out and you can be left with absolutely no funds. 

Good luck with your future transactions (and fishing)!  And thank you for reading my little diatribe.

oc1

Most of my small business income is received through PayPal and most of my spending is through a PayPal credit/debit card (it comes off the PayPal account balance).  It has simplified accounting, but makes it difficult to cheat on taxes.
-steve

TheReelShop

Quote from: Jim Fujitani on April 23, 2017, 07:50:48 PM
Okay, I guess I am a rarity.  I have a Paypal account but refuse to use it.  I neither pay nor receive funds via Paypal.  I will avoid another Paypal transaction if at all possible, for two reasons.  The first reason involved my first transaction.

I opened my Paypal account years ago, at my wife's urging and I don't remember why.  The account was connected to a credit card, that I rarely used. 

About 5 years ago, I sold some fishing tackle to a Canadian.  The transaction was conducted via Paypal (the only way the deal could be done that was mutually agreeable).  I confirmed that the funds had shown up in my Paypal account and I shipped the tackle (Just FYI; I learned that Post (mail) is very slow in the back quarters of some of the Canadian provinces.).  I checked with Paypal to have them send me a check (preferred since again, I rarely use the connected credit card so a credit to that account would do me no good).  They gave me a song and dance about the steps required and succeeded to discourage me and talked me into just leaving the funds "on account" with Paypal.

A couple years later, I inquired Paypal about my account balance.  The agents on the phone said I had no balance.  I asked to speak to a supervisor.  It took him no time to check my Paypal account and he said that I had purchased an item with those funds.  I had not, but later confirmed with our adult daughter that she had used the funds to make a purchase, with my wife's okay.  My wife thought that Paypal was connected to one of her credit cards.  This will never happen again.

Then last year, Paypal e-mailed me, letting me know that my Paypal account had been updated with my new credit card info.  I had not give them any new info, or authorization to update.  A supervisor told me that the bank and credit card companies provided the update info.  Afterwards, I spoke to supervisors with my bank and the credit card company and they both assured me that they would not give the info to Paypal, even just a renewed CC number and new security code would be violation of trust and banking laws.  So, who lied and how did Paypal get the updated info?

And I urge people to not get/use debit cards.  The only benefit to the consumer is ease of use.  They are a tool that financially benefits only banks and merchants.  They do not have the safeguards that even credit cards have.  Identity thieves that penetrate your debit card accounts can clean you out and you can be left with absolutely no funds. 

Good luck with your future transactions (and fishing)!  And thank you for reading my little diatribe.

That happens to me all the time I get those emails of alerts and update info. Always a hoax to scam. It even threatens to "close my account". I just erase. They look real too but when you read and see the misspelling and basically the whole message it's Bs.

Midway Tommy

I've had a PayPal account for almost 15 years and have never had a bad experience. In fact, PayPal is my mainstay online payment tool unless, in the rare case, there is no option other than directly using a card. I like the double protection, first through PayPal, second via the card, but then I don't sell anything online, either. If I did I would have more than one account, i.e. buying only, selling only, etc.  When asked, I refuse to send "gift" money!  >:( 
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Three se7ens

While I cringe at the fees I pay to paypal sometimes, I always remind myself that they provide a valuable service in providing and securing transactions between parties.  The protocols they have keep honest people honest and insure against the dishonest people.  Sellers as well as buyers are covered.  I have been on both sides of disputes, and while the buyer is typically favored, a seller who takes normal precautions will be well covered as well.  

And when things go smoothly, paypal makes it very convenient to run a web based business.  I find the fees are money well spent when it comes down to the risk assumed, and the convenience it offers for me.  

Btw, Ive been using it since 2001.

Shark Hunter

I don't have anything bad to say about paypal.
I use it almost weekly.
I only had to file one dispute over a High Dollar reel last year.
I think there was a two week waiting period, but I got all my money back.
It was even a International transaction to Portugal through ebay.
Ebay policy is only a month or so. Paypal goes back several months.
Life is Good!

sdlehr

I bought a few reels from a guy last night using PayPal. He asked me to send it as a gift to avoid the 3% fee. I added 3% to the total payment so that he would net out the same amount. It was an insignificant amount when you think about it, not much to pay for the convenience and protection.

I have had a bad experience with PayPal. I don't remember all the details, but they were less than helpful in the resolution. It was a $25 loss on my part. Live and learn.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

mley1

I've used paypal to buy and sell things. I've used both friends and family and goods and services. If I know the person I don't mind using the friends and family. I have had to go through paypal a couple of times on transactions that didn't pan out, and the seller skipped. I was glad those times I used goods and services.
Good luck fishing,

Marty