spectra slipping on the spool

Started by alantani, May 21, 2010, 05:01:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

can't believe i've never mentioned this on this board until now......

Quotewell since in my case anything that I buy online takes 3-4 weeks to arrive (mexico), and the new set of carbontex has still some days to come I was still messing with my reel to see was going on with this drag presure issue, so I went to the basics and was more an elimination than to try something new, so tryed the very first option and BUM!! presto!! the reel has the drag presure back, this is how I fix it

yep, I took the spectra line out and put a short lace 50# izorline mono on it, with all the shame and embarrasment I have the say that the reel has 17-18# drag presure with smooth free spool and if I reallly lock the drag star it lose free spool +- 20# :o:o

so I have no more to say just thanks for your help and comments, sorry for hijack the thread and ONE MORE TIME Alan Tani was right, this is wha the told me at the very beggining in one PM

Originally Posted by alantani 
my guess is that there is something else wrong with your reel. spectra slipping on the spool is my first thought. a problem with the drag stack is the next. there is nothing wrong with cal's grease. is the star bottoming out? tear it down again and rebuild it. let me know. alan

yep, the spectra was slipping but I didnt even checked it because I put 2 rounds of electric tape on the spool and made a real tight anchor knot, it seems that I need to get back to my old method of put some mono line in the spool and then attach the spectra to it.
I put back a small amount of cal's grease to the drag washer

cory, Frank, Alan gracias
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

steelfish

yep, that was my case, braid slipping on the spool causing only  5-6# drag

I dont know if is allowed but started in this thread http://www.bloodydecks.com/forums/fishing-reels/178044-grease-2.html
The Baja Guy

alantani

yeah, i remember that!   ;D  for what it's worth, all of that discussion probably helped alot of guys!  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Dave RI

Alan ,

I have seen that alot lately , the line slipping , what works for us is to wrap electrical tape on the spool 1st and then install the braid , the braid locks into the tape and all is well .

paal

I had a discussion on 360tuna about this a while ago. I was almost able to convince an inexperienced guy to put tape on the spool before loading up with 400 yards of spectra. Then a couple of senior members where able to intercept and convince this guy otherwise.
Makes no sense to me, when it costs absolutely nothing, and can only do good. I'm not arguing that an expert can spool spectra directly and under certain conditions can make it work. But to advice a beginner to do the same, is at best misleading.

Bryan Young

I used flex wrap.  The stuff you use instead of tape when you get a shot or blood drawn.  I think they also use flex wrap to protect your fingers when fishing now as well.  Never had a problem, but most of my reels are spooled with 15# -30# spectra.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Roger

I've got a couple of things that I do, first, I use tape that trainers use to tape ace bandages. It's a cloth tape and it sticks to the spool really well. Next, I use Basil's idea and leave a tag end after tying your arbor knot (or whatever knot you choose), then lay the tag end across the spool and spool your wrap #### tight as I can get it. Never had spectra slip and there are several reels here at the house that will pull over 40#'s on a scale.
Roger

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."   Mark Twain

dgspec

if you prefer tying Spectra/PE on the spool directly, try this:

first wrap PE/Spectra 6-8 times around the spool-arbour and  ONLY THEN make you spoolknot (Uni-/or Grinner for me) - no slip, no messing with tape adhesive, no mono
"a life without a dog is a fallacy" c.zuckmayer

JGB

If you wind spectra directly on the spool. Be sure to make the wraps in the opposite direction the lines winds on. This will make the wraps self tightening. If you go the other way it will work but if the wraps get loose it can slip. This can happen if you get spooled and then try to get the reel to grab the spectra again.

Jim N.

rx7240sx

power pro comes with spool tape in the back of the box thats what i use

edgarz

Hi all, some spools have pins where you can anchor your knot.
Is'nt this sufficient to prevent slippage?

Norcal Pescador

Works every time for me. But you still need to tie the line around the spool, then let the line go on the other side of the pin as you start to spool up. I wouldn't trust the pin to carry the tension of the line without some help. ;D
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

edgarz

Quote from: norcal pescador on November 01, 2011, 03:32:26 AM
Works every time for me. But you still need to tie the line around the spool, then let the line go on the other side of the pin as you start to spool up. I wouldn't trust the pin to carry the tension of the line without some help. ;D

You mean to tie it on the spool first before you tie on to the pin?

Norcal Pescador

Tie the line around the spool as if the pin wasn't there and pull it up tight. Let's say the line is tied to the left of the pin. Slide the loop around the arbor over next to the pin. Right where the line comes off the spool where the knot is tied, move the line behind the pin (towards the rod butt) and over to the right side of the pin. Holding tension on the line, start reeling in and you'll see the line is now "caught" by the pin. Crank away at this point and fill the spool.  Does this make sense now?
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

edgarz

Quote from: norcal pescador on November 01, 2011, 07:04:28 AM
Tie the line around the spool as if the pin wasn't there and pull it up tight. Let's say the line is tied to the left of the pin. Slide the loop around the arbor over next to the pin. Right where the line comes off the spool where the knot is tied, move the line behind the pin (towards the rod butt) and over to the right side of the pin. Holding tension on the line, start reeling in and you'll see the line is now "caught" by the pin. Crank away at this point and fill the spool.  Does this make sense now?

Right. The knot on the spool shaft will be locked good. Thanks bro.