spectra slipping on the spool

Started by alantani, May 21, 2010, 05:01:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SharkboyEI

Quote from: edgarz on November 01, 2011, 04:53:55 AM
Quote from: norcal pescador on November 01, 2011, 03:32:26 AM
Works every time for me. But you still need to tie the line around the spool, then let the line go on the other side of the pin as you start to spool up. I wouldn't trust the pin to carry the tension of the line without some help. ;D

You mean to tie it on the spool first before you tie on to the pin?
What I do is tie a spider hitch at the end of the braid and wrap the loop so it connects to the pin

Bryan Young

Quote from: JGB on October 14, 2011, 07:49:14 PM
If you wind spectra directly on the spool. Be sure to make the wraps in the opposite direction the lines winds on. This will make the wraps self tightening. If you go the other way it will work but if the wraps get loose it can slip. This can happen if you get spooled and then try to get the reel to grab the spectra again.

Jim N.
I've learned to do as Jim stated ('cause he is the one that taught me).  I use flexwrap on the arbor of the spool, then make a binimi twist in the line, double wrap the double line then tie a blood knot (nail knot??? okay, I don't know the name).  Tighten down then start stringing.  I learned this from Jim as well. :)  Thank Jim.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bunnlevel Sharker

Quote from: SharkboyEI on December 13, 2012, 03:39:25 PM
Quote from: edgarz on November 01, 2011, 04:53:55 AM
Quote from: norcal pescador on November 01, 2011, 03:32:26 AM
Works every time for me. But you still need to tie the line around the spool, then let the line go on the other side of the pin as you start to spool up. I wouldn't trust the pin to carry the tension of the line without some help. ;D

You mean to tie it on the spool first before you tie on to the pin?
What I do is tie a spider hitch at the end of the braid and wrap the loop so it connects to the pin
And then you try and spool the line on with your socks :D But tape/ some sort of backing is essential
Grayson Lanier

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Quote from: Bryan Young on December 13, 2012, 03:59:35 PM
Quote from: JGB on October 14, 2011, 07:49:14 PM
If you wind spectra directly on the spool. Be sure to make the wraps in the opposite direction the lines winds on. This will make the wraps self tightening. If you go the other way it will work but if the wraps get loose it can slip. This can happen if you get spooled and then try to get the reel to grab the spectra again.

Jim N.
I've learned to do as Jim stated ('cause he is the one that taught me).  I use flexwrap on the arbor of the spool, then make a binimi twist in the line, double wrap the double line then tie a blood knot (nail knot??? okay, I don't know the name).  Tighten down then start stringing.  I learned this from Jim as well. :)  Thank Jim.

but x2 wth the uni knot...

JGB

Here is the thinking on attaching spectra to the spool:

Grease or wax the spool to reduce corrosion.
Double the line into a long loop of around 15". Use a Bimini or a knot-less loop when using hollow core.
  Reason - to maintain 100% line strength when tying the UNI knot to the spool.
Apply tape (electrical, grip or athletic friction tape - one layer is fine and does not need to cover the entire length of the spool).
  Gives the line something to grab onto until it tightens up.
Make 2 wraps in the opposite direction the line will wind on to the spool.
  Reason - The line will self tighten and cinch up to the spool. If you wind in the same direction once it gets a little loose it will stay loose.
Tie a 5-6 turn UNI or better yet a back wrap the UNI so it becomes a nail knot and pull the knot up tight.
  Reason - This knot is secure and allows the knot to slide on the main line so it will cinch up.
Pull on the main line and slide the UNI down to the spool. Leave the tag in place if it is inch or less long. Otherwise trim to 1 inch.
  Reason the tag is used to further secure the line by wrapping over it.
Lay the tag side ways along the spool and wrap over it.
Wind your line on tight as reasonable but no less than 6-8# but closer to the strike setting is preferred.
  Reason - to pack the line and reduce the possibility of the line digging in during a fight with a trophy fish.
Fill the spool winding side by side rather than overlapping cross hatch. Be sure to wind all the way to the sides of the spool to prevent a gap from forming that the line might dig into later. Be extra careful to avoid the line from  stacking on the side of the spool and then collapsing. This can cause a underlying layer to wrap on top of the outer layer and breaking off during a fight.
  Reason - more line on the spool and the line will not be damaged by the excessive overlapping. The new braided and hollow lines will hold their shape and not dig in unless the line is wound on too loose.

Be sure to hook some really big ones to give you work a thorough testing. If you get spooled and you break off at the spool review your knots and quality of line.
If you ever get spooled point your rod at the fish. Your line, rod and reel will be experiencing way more pressure than they were designed for so keep the fragile parts out of the fight. If all gos well you get some line back and be able to use the drag and rod safely once again. If you quarry is just too much then your weakest part will fail. Hopefully that will be the leader where it is attached to the hook and you will get everything back. Don't forget to repack the line and replace the leader and retie all your connections. Letting out your line a couple of hundred yards at 10 knots will produce near 6-8 # of tension.

Being prepared is one of the best ways to bring success,
Jim N.

stevennc

I prefer electrical tap put on a single layer and put on tight. i crank the handle with the tape in the other hand and put it on pretty uniformly . It is relatively waterproof. Then I do 2 wraps around the spool with a uni knot.

Ron Jones

I have started doing two overhand knots around the spool (sort of like a hitch more than a knot) with a tag that is at least as wide as the spool. Then I over wrap the tag as tightly as possible, so it looks like I'm doing an under wrap for a rod eye. Then fill the spool with out overlapping. I have broken 80 pound mono topshots with this method and I have never had braid slip. Of course, if I am completely spooled I have lost the fish but that has yet to be an issue. (Is that a good thing or a bad thing?)
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

maxpowers

i do what Jim suggested but no tape or extra wraps.  The line is fed on top of the reel spool, then around the spool by going from the back to the front.  This ensure that as you're reeling in the line continue to tighten against the spool.  I used a san diego jam knot to tie the braid to the spool.  Most people feed the line going underneath the spool from the front, then up the back before tying the knot but this just make the knot not able to cinch down onto the spool.

gstours

Just what works for me is,  :)  a very light coat of grease on the very bottom of the spool.......then wrap a few tight layers of a easily found tape called NEXCARE, 1 inch wide, "absolutely waterproof " streachy medical tape on the spool overlapping the tag end.........
   This pruduct is sold for around $4 in the bigger grocery stores, in the first aid section .  Not he Beer/wine section is maybe why its not found favor with some Linespoolers?
  Its a good solution to the line slip if you dont have a dedicated tie spot on the spool.....  Your line will imprint into this like there's no tomorrow...... :-*

mizmo67

Quote from: gstours on December 29, 2016, 05:26:11 PM
   Just what works for me is,  :)  a very light coat of grease on the very bottom of the spool.......then wrap a few tight layers of a easily found tape called NEXCARE, 1 inch wide, "absolutely waterproof " streachy medical tape on the spool overlapping the tag end.........

Will have to remember this! That's a great, simple solution.
~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com

wussero

Go around spool with line 3-4 passes.  No tape needed.  Tie San Diego.  Pull  tight until u cannot
Tighten from slipping.

UKChris1

Yet another proposal... but never slips, though it is a pain to do...

Clove hitch round the spool hub and then four-turn Grinner with the tag end around the main line. Now manoeuvre the strands until one turn of the clove hitch is either side of the little nub thing and slowly tighten, bit by bit. The cross-strand of the clove hitch will butt up against the nub and once all is tight the nub forces the line to turn and cannot slip.

Cheers,
Chris

ourford

I gave up on tape and knots. I just put a simple arbor knot on the spool and about 30 yds of mono, then do an Albright to braid. I know it sounds like a lot of work, but I also de-spool my reels after every trip before cleaning them.
Vic

handi2

Just do like Jerry Brown instructs.

No backing.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL