John beath rods

Started by Topshot, February 07, 2014, 05:21:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Topshot

Has anybody ever heard of or used a rod from john beath. I was looking at them and was thinking about picking one up

http://www.halibut.net/Halibut-Fishing-Rod.htm
Many men fish all their lives without ever realizing that it is not the fish they are after.
Michael Baughman

conchydong

The price seems too good to be true for a rod rated for deepwater Halibut fishing. Interesting for sure.

Topshot

Quote from: conchydong on February 07, 2014, 05:32:53 PM

The price seems too good to be true for a rod rated for deepwater Halibut fishing. Interesting for sure.
That's what worries me. I wonder if it's just a cheap xxh blank with fancy gimbal and reel seat. I don't know if I would trust a $70 rod with a $200+ reel sitting on top of it
Many men fish all their lives without ever realizing that it is not the fish they are after.
Michael Baughman

Shark Hunter

The only way that rod could be so cheap is because it is Made in China.
Life is Good!

conchydong

Quote from: Shark Hunter on February 07, 2014, 05:47:44 PM

That would be a given, but some Chinese products are fairly decent you just have to sort through the crap.

Topshot

Quote from: conchydong on February 07, 2014, 05:51:59 PM
Quote from: Shark Hunter on February 07, 2014, 05:47:44 PM

That would be a given, but some Chinese products are fairly decent you just have to sort through the crap.
I don't have boots tall enough to walk through that much crap lol
Michael Baughman

Tile

If these rods are built on solid fiberglass blanks they are good. If they are built on hollow blanks definitely avoid them.
In solid fiberglass we trust

Topshot

Quote from: Tile on February 07, 2014, 06:38:14 PM
If these rods are built on solid fiberglass blanks they are good. If they are built on hollow blanks definitely avoid them.
I'm thinking there hollow. They are suppose to be lightweight. And we all know solid fiberglass blanks aren't light at all
Michael Baughman

Bryan Young

I would say it depends on the warrentee...
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

thunnus69

I am very skeptical. I would ask for tip and butt diameters, wall thickness, along with what materials were used and how they are distributed along the blank.   Are the guides double wrapped using multiple coats of epoxy?  These seem like minor things but are critical when fishing for large palegics or deep dropping lots of lead.   Typically, when I ask specific questions about the blanks design I get a blank stare.  That alone is telling.  If it were me I'd also ask for details about the warranty but in the end I think I'd stay away from this one all together.  

Topshot

Quote from: thunnus69 on February 07, 2014, 06:49:04 PM
I am very skeptical. I would ask for tip and butt diameters, wall thickness, along with what materials were used and how they are distributed along the blank.   Are the guides double wrapped using multiple coats of epoxy?  These seem like minor things but are critical when fishing for large palegics or deep dropping lots of lead.   Typically, when I ask specific questions about the blanks design I get a blank stare.  That alone is telling.  If it were me I'd also ask for details about the warranty but in the end I think I'd stay away from this one all together.  
Ya I think I would feel safer just building another rod. I can build a nice custom rod for about $40 more and feel comfortable with it. I'm like you. I like to know what I'm fishing with
Michael Baughman

Tile

If someone wants a rod for heavy duty applications and is on a tight budget the solid fiberglass blank rods are the only way to go.  The tradeoff is the somewhat increased weight of the rod.
In solid fiberglass we trust

surfcaster

Solid glass is tough enough to be a rental rod,My wife fishes with a shakesphere uglystik That started out as an 8ft 80lb class. the rod builder at the tackle shop chopped it down to 7ft to accept a larger tip. it works great for deep sea jigging  for up to 20 oz jigs. under 90bucks. Seeker makes a nice one. but it costs the same as having a better one custom made for you.

Topshot

I just can't decide what rod to put accurate 6/0 on. I don't think it would be right to have it on a cheap a cheapo rod. I'm debating on going with a batson rainshadow blank or trying one of those gorilla blanks from mudhole. I have a jigging rod from batson. It's a 50-100 rainshadow knife blank and I love it
Michael Baughman

Ron Jones

I know that I have caught 100+ pound halibut in 600+ feet of eater on Shakespeare made in China tidewater rods.  This rod has nicer components than those and cost a few bucks more. I am not saying that this rod is comparable to a Graphfighter but I'm sure it will accomplish what it is advertised for.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"