Bearings for discontinued Jigmaster Accuplates...

Started by Aiala, February 09, 2014, 11:02:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aiala

Rainbows Я Us...  :D

And thanks to you, Bryan, the reel not only looks fabulous but she purrs like a kitten till the lake pipes roar!

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

BMITCH

Pretty awsome reel Aiala. Thanks for posting the pics.
Bob
luck is the residue of design.

Aiala

So, once again my disinclination to read the fine print has landed me in the briar patch, as follows:  On fleaBay, someone offered a brand new set of cherry Accuplates for the Penn Squidder 140, which I instantly coveted and stupidly bid on without reading the addendum to the listing wherein the seller emphasized that the auction was for plates only, without any frame screws, bearings, bearing cups, or even clicker assembly. Well, of course I won the darn things, and now I am stuck with utterly useless Squidder sideplates, unless one of the many ingenious experts here can tell me how/where to unearth (or improvise) the missing hardware. Failing that, I guess my only recourse is to try re-auctioning them to a bigger ditz than me... if there is one... <sigh>

Any suggestions?   :-\

~A~

Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Aiala

Tightlines667

Aiala,
I would give Tony Dubeck from Penn a call (215)228-six377.

Then I would get out your calipers and disassemble the stock squidder sideplates.  Check to see which parts pit the accuplates and where there are differences measure what is needed with a caliper. I believe that you should be able to use the following parts:

1-36-155CH Click Button
1-35-155 Click Tounge
1-62-309 Click Spring (single screw mount)
1-63-209 Click Spring Screw
26-140 R.S. Bearing
4-39-9 L.S.Post Scew
2-39-3 Stand Screws

You will have to test old parts that you have to find where the differences are.  The missing bearing cup, bearing, and O-ring on the left side plate coupled with a lack of availability of stock 40-140 L.S. Bearing may be somewhat problematic.  Also the thread size should be a match for all screws but the lengths and head types might differ.  You can just measure the side plate thickness here - the countersunk hole depth and compare to stock.  Make adjustment and order what you want from an online supplier.  I think the accuplates typically use hex heads.  Using stock bearings may require shimming, and the clicker may require a plastic spacer/washer.  I'd see if a replacement left plate bearing cup can be found before getting in too deep though. 
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

broadway

Aiala,
  We ditzes have made the same mistake in regards to buying accu plates without the rest of the hardware.  The only nice part is that we won't make that mistake again.
If all of my screw ups only cost $150 bucks I'd have a lot more money. ;)
You'll make it work and I look forward to seeing that colorful reel as well.
Dom

Bryan Young

Does anyone know if newell bearing caps fit the sideplates? 
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

fIsHsTiiCkS

Any1 know of an another way to get the bearings out with out using reelspeeds puller. Just donw want to drop $200 on that puller as of right now. I have a home made one but just isnt doin the job on this bearings.

Tightlines667

I carefully cut mine out with a dermal.  A slot can be cut in both inner and outer races so that a large flathead screwdriver can find purchase.  I then soaked the bearing pocket in 50:50 ATF:Acetone, applied some heat and twisted until it broke free.  Then I opened up the bearing pocket just a tiny bit with some high grit sandpaper so the new bearing is a tight fit, but can be removed more easily.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Bryan Young

Quote from: fIsHsTiiCkS on November 17, 2014, 07:17:08 AM
Any1 know of an another way to get the bearings out with out using reelspeeds puller. Just donw want to drop $200 on that puller as of right now. I have a home made one but just isnt doin the job on this bearings.
If you send them to me, I'll pop them out for your and mail them back to you.  If you need new bearings installed.  I have them as well.  PM me if you are interested.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D