Baitrunner D Series Release Spring Unhinged!

Started by exp2000, February 10, 2014, 10:51:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

exp2000

Shimano Baitrunner D series.

I recently received a 6000 model in which the baitrunner mechanism release spring had burst free from it's constraints so I started to look for reasons why. Upon scrutinizing the mechanics of the design, it didn't take too long to realise what was going on.

Below is a picture of the 6000D clutch release mechanism. (Photo by Dale). Observe the very thick tension spring which is bent in a U shape to mate with the baitrunner lever shaft. A coil spring this thick looks more like something from your underside vehicle suspension!

In any case you have a rather unstable directional hook linked to an alloy lever under high tension by a powerful coil spring. The result: the spring reams out the hole in the alloy lever under use till finally it can burst free. In the B series, both the design and the metal quality of the lever was far superior and I don't recall the coil spring being quite THIS thick!

In consideration, a standard service on a D series reel might have to include replacing the release shaft?

alantani

that spring has to be under ALOT of pressure!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

fisher480

The D series don't have the best reputation. I'm glad I didn't buy one.

exp2000

Quote from: fisher480 on February 11, 2014, 10:55:41 AM
The D series don't have the best reputation. I'm glad I didn't buy one.

What issues have you heard of fisher?

fisher480

Basically they fail after not a lot of work, do a Google search. The B series is a much better reel. The only thing about the B series is that you can get water down through the Baitrunner rear lever. I have seen some miss treated ones with evidence of this. A simple grease seal along the shaft fixes that problem.

MFB

I have 2 x B series 4500 & a 6500 both with carbontex washers & a line roller upgrade on the 6500. These reels are great to use for stray lining & I wouldn't part with them for the world.  I bought the Mrs a 8000OC series & so far so good, she has caught a 6lb snapper on it.

Rgds

Mark
No man can lose what he never had.
                                                   Isaac Walton

exp2000

I received the replacement baitrunner lever shaft today.

The coil spring was much tighter fit in the new seat hole.

Comparison with the discard proved that the hole had been reamed out as suspected and was very elongated.

I also performed a minor modification to the spring seat by drilling a shallow hole as a secure recess for the other end of the spring.

I also performed a minor modification to the spring seat by drilling a 2mm shallow hole as a secure recess for the other end of the spring.

My hope was to also create a more favourable angle for the directional hook link to the lever which would prevent it from popping from it's seat. Angle the spring one way and the tension will force the hook out of the hole. Angle it the other way and it will seat the hook against a heel in the recess where it receives proper support and is relatively secure.