Not sure what model reel.

Started by Saltywounds, February 11, 2014, 11:19:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saltywounds

I posted this up in the ordering parts section.......maybe It will get a bit more views here. Thanks.

Hey guys, if anyone can help me it would be appreciated. I need to order a worm-gear and a pawl for this old ambassadeur reel. Problem is I don't have the exact model, it seems to maybe have rubbed off over time. I think every ambassadeur I've ever worked on had a bad pawl and worm. I've got the pen pictured just for reference, seems to be the most common size reel. If you know the model of the reel, great. If you know the part # ...."even greater"  Grin

I went to a local reel shop, but they probably just didn't feel like tracking it down in their inventory. Thanks in advance.

Shark Hunter

Are you sure this is an ambassadeur and not a knock off? I can't find any reference with that slick side. Most are either not perfectly flat or have some other features besides just two screws.
Life is Good!

Saltywounds

I'm fairly sure its real............No reason to think otherwise. Here's the "ABU GARCIA" branding.

Shark Hunter

Definitely. I didn't see that view.
Life is Good!

Ken_D

Is there still a number on the frame foot?  There were quite a few solid frame models made a while back.
Pro,  Black Max, Morrum, to name but 3.
Garcia's page has the ability to search reels by the frame foot number, so maybe this will work for you, if the frame is orig, and the numbers are still there. Failing that, or in support:

Here's a list from 1960-2004 where your reel will probably be hiding.... just a matter to pin point it.    
You can reduce the search a lot, on this list, by figuring out your gear ratio, then looking for that number.
I'd start in about 1989-1990...seems reasonable.
http://www.realsreels.com/ABu%20Reals%20Bob%20Hulme.pdf

Bucktail

It looks familiar.  lI think it was out around the same time the Morrum came out.  I think it was a similar design but not as high end as the Morrum.
Just a jig-a-lo

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Saltywounds

Thanks everyone...... The frame does have a # 100111/49

I see the chart Ken D.....I honestly don't konw what I'm looking at though.

Saltywounds

Thanks Shark, that does look very simlar........I'm gonna look at the schematics for that reel and see if they are similar or exact. I'll let you guys know.

Saltywounds

Seems thats the same reel Shark, at least the worm drive set-up. Its showing #23655.  http://www.abugarcia.com/sites/default/files/schematics/BTC3600C%200800.PDF

Guess I'm gonna have to call around and see what kind of price I can get. If you guys know of somewhere online, please feel free to suggest.

Shark Hunter

Glad I could help, I'm not really into Abus, but I'm sure someone will chime in that is. ;)
Life is Good!

mhc

Looks like the model is Professional Series S*600C. This is a S5600C with the same foot No.

Ken D and others would have a better idea of parts suppliers but I imagine a larger supplier like Mikes are more likely to have parts for less common reels like these or try Pure Fishing direct.

Michael

PS: I think there were a few variations of the S series - no doubt a lot of their parts would be interchangeable

PPS: Just reread your original question, the pawls for these are the same as all the abu 4500 - 7000 round reels - it's hard to tell from photos but the worm doesn't look too bad, you could try replacing the pawl first then look at the worm if needed.
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Ken_D

If Garcia's page is complete, there is one reel as a 1001.. the S5600, as per the super pics above. Very nice.
http://www.abugarcia.com/sites/default/files/schematics/S5600C%201001.PDF

In the USA, try Purefishing, or Ollie Damon's, Southwestrn Parts, John's Sporting Goods. Or for that matter, the closest Abu warranty centre to where you live. Everybody orders from PF. 

http://www.abugarcia.com/support/reel-schematics?field_schem_numb_value=1001

Saltywounds

Thanks everyone!........Exactly what I needed to know. Really appreciate it.