Penn Baja Special

Started by Lbctermite, February 12, 2014, 08:14:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lbctermite

Hey guys,
    New to the board but been using this site to work on reels.  GREAT tutorials and information.  However, I just ran into a small issue and have no idea what this is about.  I adjusted the right side of my reel to get more leverage and easier access to my freespool switch.  Several of anglers that I know said it's better this way.  However, when I reel hard and stop the handle, it makes a clicking noise.  I've even switched it back to stock.  I have no idea how to stop this and been tearing my reel apart but no results.  here's a vid of it. 
"Only tossing irons on the long rods..."

DaBigOno

Aloha! LBCtermite, welcome.

What did you do to modify your reel to try to get more leverage and easier access to your free spool switch?

From the video, it's hard to tell what side the noise is coming from, but it doesn't sound good.

Can you tell if the clicking is coming from the right or left side plate??

Assuming that all parts were re-installed:

If the clicking noise is coming from the right side plate, I would check the assembly of the anti-reverse ratchet & dogs.

If the clicking noise is coming from the left side plate, then I would check the clicker assembly.
Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

Shark Hunter

Something is definitely not right there. I think your problem is under the left side plate. You have some clicker issues it sounds like to me. Something has come loose or bent.
Here is Alan's tutorial on it, but I think your problem is beneath that left plate.
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=14.0
Life is Good!

CapeFish

the drag is loose and the clicker is engaged??????

Lbctermite

all i did was move the right side towards me.  the screws and holes line up.  no other modifications.  the dogs are good to go, clicker is fine.  it feels and sounds like its coming from the pinion gear (key #13) and sub shaft (key #13a) when connected with right spool bearing (key #55a) but can't figure out why.  drags were tight and clicker off too. 
"Only tossing irons on the long rods..."

Shark Hunter

You got me. If it were mine, I would do a complete teardown until I figured it out.
I'm guessing you rotated the plate and it had had a detrimental effect on something for it to make that grinding noise. ::)
Life is Good!

alantani

for some reason i can't open the file.  but if i understand correctly, the reel DOES function normally, right?  so you crank hard with a full spool of line, but no tension against the line.  the spool gets moving in retrieve and then you abruptly stop the handle and the spool keeps on spinning in the retrieve direction. 

if this is correct, then i think this is normal.  ambassaduers do the same thing.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Shark Hunter

I couldn't open the video at work, but it works at the house. He is cranking it fast from a dead stop and it makes a grinding noise like the clicker is on. It doesn't sound good. He says it is not the clicker assembly, so there has to me some metal shavings somewhere.
Life is Good!

alantani

it's the shoulders of the spool shaft banging against the pinion gear.  check some of your own reels.  i bet they will do the same thing. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

basto

DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

Shark Hunter

Huh, Another lesson learned! ;D
Life is Good!

maxpowers

that does not sound right.  My baja does not make any of those noise...

TomT

Well he is doing better with me.  I tore apart a perfectly funtioning Baja Special to for regular lube and maintenance.  I just cannot get the drags in this one to stay in place long enough to get the reel back together.  Leaving for Baja soon, so maybe the warmer weather will help me get it together. ;)
TomT

maxpowers

Tom,

I am confused.  The drag is very easy to service.  The dogs on the other hand are a bit fussier.  Make sure you have the gear seated completely onto the bottom of the sleeve and the sleeve bearing is flush into the gear.  I was able to add additional drag to the baja without any issue.  Took it up to more than 30 lbs of drag easily..

Ron Jones

That is how I tell if a reel is worn or not, I couldn't listen at work. If it spool shaft shoulder doesn't skip a time or ten then the reel has wore in a bit.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"