Pro Max 8 bearing reels

Started by Simon Everett, February 17, 2014, 02:17:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Simon Everett

I have found the problem - it works perfectly until I tighten the two screws that hold the side cover in place. If I back them off just half a turn it frees up, tighten them so the side cover doesn't slop about and the freespool lever is jammed solid. Something inside is binding, the trouble is my black face plate covers much more of the inside than in the picture above, there is no cut away section like in the picture, or at least ony a small section about 1/2" that's all and it is the opposite side to the chromed lever.

I have taken everything apart yet again, but I still cannot work out which part I have in the wrong place...possibly the plastic spring collet on the end of the spool spindle - I have this on the outside of the plastic yolk the small gear is supported by.

Simon Everett

I have been trying to get both the gears to mesh and the freespool to work for over 3 hours this afternoon now...I get the gears to mesh - the freespool doesn't work. If I get it back together so the thumbar works, the gears don't mesh.....I have chucked it in a box in disgust! I will leave it a few days, because I won't have a chance to look at it agin before Monday now...anyone know a guy in the UK who could just put this thing back together so it works please? It needs no parts, no grease, no oil, just the screws putting in the right holes. :-[

Simon Everett

Quote from: johndtuttle on July 03, 2014, 03:22:15 AM
Ok, these are the promised photos:

"A" above is the pin coming through the frame from the thumb lever that puts the reel in free spool.

"A" (the pin) goes into the crook of that arm which moves the eccentric jack. It slides in easily in the center of the > formed by the arm. When you depress the thumb lever, the pin moves down and forces the arm to pivot.

Hope this helps.

John,
thanks for those pictures. My reel is slightly different inside. The black base plate is larger and only has a cut away for the level wind gear. The chromed, angled lever you point to actually extends over the black base plate on mine and the plate goes round that side of the reel.

When I put the assembly together and hold it all in place, the gears mesh and the thumb bar works to take it out of gear. If I put the side cover on and LOOSELY do up the screws that hold the side cover on, it all still works - BUT when I tighten the two screws (finger nail as a screwdriver only, so very little torque being applied) the thumbar becomes too tight to operate and the handle will not engage the gears so it stays in gear and won't go into freespool - or the gears will not engage again.

Strange, because if I just back the screws out a touch, it all works again. So something is binding when the side cover is fully in place. I have had an engineer and long time fisherman look at this weekend - he couldn't get it to work either! The only thing I have done is unscrewed it and oiled/greased it lightly. Before it was working perfectly and I was fishing it with it.

Unutt

Hopefully you have resolved your issue, but if you have not, is it possible the brake blocks are not seated correctly?  Make sure they are inside the drum on the brake plate when you tighten the side plate screws. 

If they are not seated on the spool washer correctly when you install the drive side plate, the brake blocks will actually get wedged between the washer and the brake plate, and lock up the drive train.
So many reels, so little time.

Simon Everett

Thanks for all your help folks, but despite looking after my Abu reels myself for 30 odd years, I am stumped with this one. I am going to have to take it to the Abu Performance Centre and get it fixed. I cannot find what is wrong at all - I have stripped it completely, down to total individual parts, put it back together again carefully, but I still have the same problem. It will not release the spool, but the gears engage properly.....I cannot fathom what I am doing wrong. I am beginning to think I have lost something someehwre along the line, taking it apart and putting it back together again.

Bloody nuisance. It has put me right off the reel too. ??? Once it is back together again, I am sure I will ove it once more. At the moment it has been sent to sit on the naughty step!

Unutt

Before you take it to have someone else fix, be sure the e clip is installed on the bar that actuates the clutch.  It just came to me that might be the problem.  There are two steel bars in the thumb bar mechanism.  One is thicker, and one thinner.  The thinner bar is the lower one.  It passes all the way through the frame.  On the port side it is spring loaded.  Beneath the thumb bar, also on the inside port side, there is a very small e clip on the thinner bar.   This is the clip that keeps the thinner bar located so it will actuate the clutch.  Without the e clip, the actuator bar will slide too far to port, and not function correctly.

Unutt

Did you get your reel working?

Simon Everett

I sent it to Performance Abu here in the UK. I had put the small, black plastic axle spacer the wrong side and so it had crushed when I put it all back together....I think I got distracted when I was servicing it. Bloody silly mistake after all these years. Cost me £1.39! It is now perfect again and catching fish and casting a 3/4oz lure 50 yards with ease.

johndtuttle

So glad to hear that!

We ALL have had the same frustration, and fighting that and getting a solution is part of the game. ;)

Simon Everett

Quote from: bassnwhaler on May 08, 2014, 05:05:45 AM
I fish with these reels. 1 pro max 1600, 2 black max 3600, 1 each black max 5600 and 6600. They are very solid reels and great casters. I upgraded to carbontex drags, loaded some with braid (they were meant specifically for braid with their cross x line laying system) and use them for steelhead. The 3600 is my fav size. The 1600 is amazing with light lures. All sit low, so are kind of early low profile reels, but fit my hands better.

I learned a lot from This article.

http://www.realsreels.com/servicing/servicingtuningABUBlackMax.html

Cheers

Bassnwhaler

That is a brilliant link - thanks a lot. I have done the other reel (5600 Pro Max) and acquired a BRAND NEW, never been spooled, 3600 in its velvet cloth bag the other day.  :D I shall load it with 20lb braid on top of a suitable bedding of mono and use it for pike and bass in the sea - it looks identical to the 1600 and putting them side by side they seem the same. Is it just spool capacity that is different? I can't see any other difference.

Unutt

Simon,

Thanx for the encouraging words.  I created that web page at Mr. Real's request.  I wrote it years ago, but the reels have not changed, and my procedure has changed only slightly. 

I just finished modifying the main drive shaft on one reel.  I have never been completely happy with the metal to metal fit between the drive shaft and drive shaft spindle.  I have agonized about it for years.  I finally decided to make a change. 

I machined out 30mm of the drive shaft to a diameter of 4.8mm so it only touches at the very top near the handle.  Then I machined the bottom of the shaft to a diameter of 7.0mm, and installed a 4x7x2.5mm bearing.  The only metal to metal contact is the top 5 or 6mm.  The bottom end of the drive shaft (near the gears) is supported by, and turns on a bearing.  The difference is striking.  The handle turns through even easier, if that is possible.  I have not fished with it yet, however.  That will be the real test.  I guess it is now a 9 bearing ProMax vs. the original 8.

I am preparing to work on a spool to make it as light as possible.  I am not expecting it to help a lot, but I will not know until I try it.

Good luck with your reels.  If you have a problem with one, I am happy to help. 

bassnwhaler

Unutt,
I read somewhere that there is a replacement part to engage the clutch that is less mushy and has a better feel. I believe it changed a year after the reels were introduced. Something involving a spring or lever swap. Does this ring a bell and if so what parts do I need to make the change? One of my reels feels drastically different than the others (mushy) and one recently stopped engaging all together so I thought I would check on this "improved" option. 

Thanks again for your article and deep knowledge about these pro and black max reels.

Bassnwhaler

bassnwhaler

Thanks Mel. And indeed the revo did have an issue with the pot metal part that quickly wore down. I've replaced that part on my revo:)

I'll service it and let you know what I find on these 2 reels. Kind of like Easter egg or mushroom hunting!

Bassnwhaler