FACTORY vs CUSTOM WRAPPED RODS?

Started by LTM, February 17, 2014, 05:06:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LTM

Jeri,

I always enjoy your detailed dialogues. However, my point was not which model I want, Im very clear on that note. Its getting any rod built "CORRECTLY" by measuring from the center of my elbow to the uppper portion of my palm, then the amount of foregrip that I need/want. Finally, the proper placing of the "PROPPER" amount of guides is the other main issue. Most rod builders I find would probably be fine with a phone call, tell them your colors, and they give you a pickup date. They want to build it 'THEIR" cookie-cutter method which I DONT WANT is the problem. Ive got another specific question for you which I'll PM you about later.

Nite all,

Leo

Jeri

Hi Leo,

Any rod builder worth his 'salt' should be able to build a rod for you with a client that actually knows what they are looking for, and the fact that it would seem that you know what blank you desire, then the hardest piece of information is already answered.

Your recognising that the elbow to wrist crease dimension is critical to your design is equally of great assistance to the rod builder. Getting a builder now to just tape the reel seat in the right place, and discussing grip options and lengths with you would be a client that I dream of. One that actually know what he wants!!!

I can't see the problem of finding a rod builder in your area that could offer to build a rod for you, to that basic design.

As to getting the right number of guides and at a correct spacing, I would look to a builder's reputation. I have a whole list of clients, that should anyone want a referral, I can offer that list. And equally any rod builder worth his 'salt' would have such a list. The point is that most rod builders should have a couple of rods lying around for clients to try different options, so basically I think it comes down to shopping around, and going through the process of finding someone that you feel confident in.

The whole arena of spinning rods is under considerable review at the moment, as there are several 'ringing systems' being advertised as 'the best', whether it is Fuji and the 'K' series concept or the AmTak 'microwave' system. Personally, I favour Fuji, as they have been around for so long, and have a reputation of designing systems that have been thoroughly tested. I just at times wish they would undertake a research program to update some of the dated surf design schemes; but that hasn't stopped me developing themes beyond their original ideas – which is basically back to this issue of 'passion', and perhaps the genetic liability that I have as a former engineer – I can't look at many things without wondering how to make it better.

Hope that helps.

Cheers from sunny Africa

Jeri