Shimano Talica 16ll

Started by Freedom Won, May 30, 2010, 12:06:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Freedom Won

Just bought this reel and was hoping that someone or you had some intel. on it as far as upgrades???? Do I need to upgrade the drag washers on this reel, or is there anything I need to know about it in the furture to worry about? I've heard nothing but great things about this reel and was hopeing that I could get some feed back from you?

Respectfully,

Mark

Daytona Beach, FL.
If you're not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!!! Lead, Follow or Get The Hell Out Of The Way!!!

george.s

Freedom Won

yea I know, but just didn't know if they are as good as the carbontex drag washers???? So are you telling me this Very exspensive reel is good right out of the box,, nothing needed, nothing added?   That's absurd!!!!  LOL
If you're not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!!! Lead, Follow or Get The Hell Out Of The Way!!!

Freedom Won

Also, I was wondering about upgrading the handle??? I'd like to have a power handle put on,, is this possible, and if so, what whould you recommend?

turboal

Hi, there are a bunch of power handels on ebay in the fishing section.
maybe you can find one to fit.

Freedom Won

thanks,,, I'll start looking,,, just don't know WHAT WILL FIT????

OutCast

I also have this reel, and just broke it down today for the 1st time; never been wet. It holds 500yds of JB60 hollow w/ room for a short topshot (maybe 10-15 yards max).
The drag washer is unlike most carbon type that I've seen very thin. It has the expected ruff carbon on the outer side and a smooth backing (appears to be a smooth carbon or maybe graphite). It is screwed to the spool along the inner circumfrence w/ 4 screws. As well, the entire drag stack is enclosed/sealed much like the Tiagra.
I took a couple pics, but can't post them. I will email them to Alan, as I was curious as to his opinion about how the smooth side should be maintained. I applied Cal's to the working side and went on w/ the exploring, however didn't feel the need to take it completely apart.
The handle is pressed, so you would have to drill it out to upgrade it. It would take about 10-15 minutes w/ a hand drill and you would have to file smooth the edges. A 3/16 bit would get it done, it already has a center mark on it unlike the Avets which are pointed.

alantani

from eric linton.  thanks a million!!!!!!!!!  alan

Alan,  Hi, hope ya don't mind an email. I just broke down my Talica for the 1st time and had a question w/ regards to the drag washer. I am attaching several pics, mostly just for you to see a bit of the reel. I posted a reply to a recent thread also and said I would send you a few pics.  How should this drag washer (pic 57& 58) be maintained front and back? 57 is a bit outta focus.  Thanks, Eric

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!