All Star rebuild.

Started by Ron Jones, February 18, 2014, 11:49:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Jones

I like, and have several of, the pre Shakesphere Texas made all star inshore rods. I have an 8ft 25# Elite that is going to be my first wrapping rebuild on my bench. The issue with the rod is that it has single footed guides ahich I don't care for on a casting rod, especially for this class or bigger. I also have an 8ft California Calico Special that is a lighter blank with the coolest guides in the world. I'm hoping someone can tell me what these guides are. They are double footed guides with a very smooth, hard bronze finish. The are robust enough that even I haven't been able to break them and they have no inserts to pop out.

As far as the wrapping, is it OK to keep the same eye spacing and size even though I am switching to double footed eyes or will that screw with the arc the rod makes under load? I am planning on underwrapping and double wrapping the new guides which is way more robust construction than what they had before.

Thanks
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

thunnus69

Can't help you ID the guides.  As for spacing, always use some form of static deflection to determine the appropriate spacing.  Good lucĂ­.  Let me know if this helps.

Bryan Young

Since you are re-wrapping, I would re-space the guides per the arc of the rod and maybe add a few more guides.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Ron Jones

Turns out I was looking at MudHole wrong. They are Pac Bay CSBG unbraced carbide boat guides. I plan on using CSBBGs which are braced carbide rings. The only issue is the size, the rod currently has the stripper, a transitional guide that is one size smaller and then the rest of 8 guides are the same. That would mean I would start with a 9.4MM guide and the stripper on there now is probably an 8 at best. Does anyone know if Pac Bay makes smaller sizes?

Thanks
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

thunnus69

Not sure.  There may be some new old stock floating around on ebay.  Why carbide?  They are good for running wire line but expensive. Why not Amtak Ring Locks?  Just a thought.

Bryan Young

Ron, I have heard a lot of good things about Amtak guides that the rings don't pop out when you crash the pole, and you just bend them back.  Try checking out Brian's Fishing Supply on King Street off Pi'ikoi or Pensecola near Makiki Zippy's.  Brian has them.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Ron Jones

I'll take a look at them, but I really am tired of rings. I replace more perfectly good tips because the ring is gone. I have 2 Tiger rods that I have pulled through hech and back and the eyes still wrk just fine.
Thanks
Ron
Ronald Jones
"