REEL COVERS

Started by LTM, February 20, 2014, 04:35:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Jones

Foakes,
My wife could make those also, but not at that price. I may be getting a few of those from you.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

foakes

Hi Ron --

My wife could make them also -- but as most of us know -- they would be much, much more expensive when is all said and done -- and I couldn't afford the additional charges that would surely come a little later!  Of course, I am just joking (my wife would make them if I asked her to because she would like to help out).   

Plus, it is just nice to order them -- get them in a timely fashion -- and be done with any potential drama.

I obviously am not doing it to make money -- it is just a simple way to protect the reel when being transported, stored, or in danger of being bumped around.

They are not as nice as the fancy ones made of neoprene and such -- but they really protect the reels -- and allow them to not develop condensation or rust issues.

If I was on a long range trip with some really nice reels -- the neoprene type would probably be in order -- or even the red nylon ones made by Penn years ago.

Glad to help anyone out who may need some.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Ron Jones

I think polar fleece is a perfect material for everything you've mentioned. I've been bugging the wife far a bit to make some custom fit to my reels, but the pouch may actually be more convenient.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

day0ne

Quote from: LTM on February 22, 2014, 03:15:22 AM
Dayone,

Do you have a link to that vendor?

Leo

http://stores.ebay.com/Jaws-Fishing-Tackle?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

I think he is out of pocket, so there aren't many listings right now, but he will be back. I believe his name is Arthur Wu (or Woo?)
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

TechTeach

I bought 3 of those Jaws Reel covers in the last month and they are great. Nice and rugged, really protect the reel nicely.

One for an 80S and 2 for 50SW's.
"Where's that damn dog spring??????"

Dominick

Quote from: LTM on February 22, 2014, 03:15:22 AM
Dayone,

Do you have a link to that vendor?

Leo
Chark Bait has them.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

erikpowell

My 2 cents would be:
Don't use your neoprene covers on the boat, unless only in the cabin or for transport to the boat and from.
I think they are just a bad idea.
I've seen my share of neoprene covers do more destruction to a quality or keepsake reel than not.
Neoprene doesn't breath, takes a long time to dry, and unless you THOUROGHLY WASH, not just rinse, your cover after the boat trip, Dry it completely BEFORE wrapping your already rinsed and dried reel inside...you are asking for trouble..

Cloth bags make you want to keep them dry...and when you do  salt will never accumulate.
When in doubt, rinse it out.. toss it in the dryer.
Its almost impossible to rinse all the salt out of a neoprene reel cover that has been riding on the gunwale soaking up salt water all day.

Save your reel covers for storage and transport only... That's the best way to protect your investment.