HOW DO YOU FISH YOUR PENN YTS/TANK?

Started by LTM, February 20, 2014, 04:53:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LTM

Guys/Ladies,

I dont want to assume, but from some of what Ive read here on the forum; some of you may be using your narrow 113/yts 4:1 gear ratio reels for OTHER THAN JIGGING. Ive only looked at this gear ratio as SOLELY for jigging. What has been your experience if using for other than a jigging reel? I would like to get the most use as possible out of this reel and dont want to overlook possible alternative uses.

Thanx,

Leo

maxpowers

I fished my TANK up to 80 lbs test mono for sardine or pacific mackerel live bait fishing along with using it as a yoyo rig.

Ron Jones

Domonick hac caught a marlin on his trolling. I've actually never considered jigging a narrow 4/0. Carl Newell was big into casting and that's what I've used narrow 4/0s in the past for.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Keta

Deep water cut bait fishing for Pacific halibut.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

LTM

Lee, you use yours deep water with 4:1 gears, hows cranking with those gears from soooo deep? What pound test/configuration of reel?

Noyb72, trolling with the 4:1 gears!!  Whats that like with those gears?

Maxpowers, 80# test# How do you have your reel spooled, 100# braid or what?

Please be more specific if you would,

Leo

maxpowers

Leo,

I spool 80 lbs solid sufix 832 braided line about 3/4 of the way.  Then I spliced on 80 lbs  Seaguar Threadhollow and filled it to about 1/8 to the brim.  Make an end loop on my hollow braid and do a Loop to Loop connection with 80 lbs wind-on leaders.  My leaders is about 20-25 ft long.  If the fish is line shy I can drop down to 60 lbs wind-ons or even 50 lbs wind-ons.  For yoyo-ing I just use 80 lbs for the abrasion resistance.

Ron Jones

I'm not sure about the gear question. I have fished 600+ ft w/330LDs that have no where near the retrieve rate of a TANK and caught halibut just fine. I've trolled with LOTS of black sided Senators with a 2:1 ratio. They worked then and they work now. SOmetimes current fashion isn't as slick as the advertisers advertise.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Shark Hunter

I think this Picture of Dominick says it all! I believe he fishes 80lb braid and mono topshot. Go Tank! ;)
Life is Good!

Ron Jones

A picture is worth a thousand words!!
Ron
Ronald Jones
"

Keta

Quote from: LTM on February 20, 2014, 08:13:51 PM
Lee, you use yours deep water with 4:1 gears, hows cranking with those gears from soooo deep? What pound test/configuration of reel?

No problem bringing up sinkers up to 48oz.  I set them up with 65# Spectra and 10' 50# mono topshots.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

seaeagle2

Halibut bait fishing, in the Juan de Fuca Straights, so depth is 60 to about 240 feet, weights from 16 to 24 oz, biggest I've caught was 48 lbs by the "chart". I use either 65 or 80 lb powerpro to a spreader bar with 150 lb leader. I've one with a Jvariance narrow frame and spool and red ("Pink") powerpro for my wife, and a Newell narrow bars and spool for me.
"One life, don't blow it" Kona Brewing
\"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there\'d be a shortage of fishing poles\" Doug Larson

Dominick

Daron:  Thanks for posting that photo again.  Interestingly enough that fish was a fighter.  It took me about 35 minutes to bring that fish in.  When I put it back in the water it stayed just beneath the surface and I could see the rooster tail and I started to feel bad because I thought it was not going to survive.  After about 15-20 seconds it started to move forward on its own then it took off and dove down.  It is fun to fish these fish because they use the surf to pull.  You have to give them line until the surf subsides then work them in.  So I fish the tank with 80lb braid and 100lb mono leader.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Dominick

I'm going back in June.  Come on down.  That's when big Roosters are around.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

floating doc

Quote from: Shark Hunter on February 21, 2014, 06:03:59 AM
I never get tired of looking at it! ;)

Yeah, I love that photo, too. Awesome fish!
Central Florida