Penn Long Beach Live Bait Reel (259) narrowed

Started by Bryan Young, February 21, 2014, 07:28:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

i got the chance to fiddle with and realized that it would make a great left handed reel!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Ron Jones

OK,
This page:
https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Penn259.aspx

says the 259 uses the 13-500 pinion, and it doesn't list the gear ratio. Where are you guys seeing that it uses the 13-140? I think it should use the 13-140, because then it would be the same as the 110, but that isn't what Scott's says.

Thanks
Ron

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Doug

Hi Ron You are right but if you look way at the top of the page for the 259 there is a picture on the right hand side and under the  picture  it says the ratio is 2.5 to 1 so maybe if the 500 pinion works it lowers the gear ratio or its a mistake. If it works it kinda makes sense to use a 500 pinion on a 501 spool to ensure fit but it might still be a misprint its happened before  Doug

Keta

Quote from: noyb72 on February 23, 2014, 08:25:24 AM
OK,
This page:
https://www.mysticparts.com/pennParts/Penn259.aspx

says the 259 uses the 13-500 pinion, and it doesn't list the gear ratio. Where are you guys seeing that it uses the 13-140? I think it should use the 13-140, because then it would be the same as the 110, but that isn't what Scott's says.

Thanks
Ron

I think you found a mistake, look here.  https://www.mysticparts.com/Assets/images/pennparts/schematics/259.pdf

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Ron Jones

Thanks Lee!
So, Bryan has made a different 1/0 then. Pretty cool.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

fishhead69

GREAT JOB BRYAN. IT APPEARS TO HAVE THE LINE CAPACITY AND LOOK OF A PENN SENATOR 1/0 WITH THE 4 TRIM RINGS. AS A LOVER OF PENN REELS THUMBS UP. I THINK I WILL PUT ONE TOGETHER TO FISH WITH. THE OLDER PENN LONG BEACH 259 REELS HAVE ALL STAINLESS STEEL GUTS INCLUDING THE GEARS, BRIDGE, YOKE AND ECCENTRIC.

Normslanding

Bryan, you got my attention. For a log time I have wanted a narrow 259. Recently a friend passed away, and one of the things I got was a fair 259.
It has his name engraved on the chrome rings. This is sentimental to me so it will be narrowed. The reel has a Power House transmission, and Newell bearing cups on it, but they will go. At one point I thought I would leave the Trans. and use the reel to YoYo, but my new Andros A-12SIIa will be a little faster and have a low gear making it a better choice.
So A little direction from you all would sure help. There are a couple of narrowed 500 on ebay at this time. Needing a spool, bars, and a seat makes
them tempting. Also Penn/Newell 500 bars might be a option if I cut them down, but I am not sure about corrosion on the cut end. I don't think I will
find a pair of 37A-506 bars. I am considering 37-180's but would like the 506's. I think a Tiburon frame will add a lot of weight, so I am shying away
from that.
The guts of the reel are in great shape. I will do as much up grading as I can. The fine tooth gear sleeve, drag, gears and any thing else you guys think are doable will go in it. It sure would be nice to have as much SS as possible. I do have one of Alan's handles that will go on it. If I remember years ago I tried to put 500 gears in a 259 and it did not work, so the reel will stay in the 2.5-2.8:1 ratio. This will sure be a great Grouper/ bottom fishing reel,
and be fished with a lot of memory's.
                Thanks,
                    Dave

Bryan Young

That's awesome Dave.  Regarding the stainless steel gear sleeve, I discovered that Penn had 2 different bridge plates.  One of the gear sleeve post is the same as the jigmaster and the other had a smaller OD then the jigmaster.  If you are lucky as I was on my 259 then you will be good to go.

If your reel has steel gears, I have a 5+1 drag kit for your reel as well.  I'm not sure I'd do that with the brass gears and how they would hold up.  

Good luck, have fun, and please to be sure to post your build.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Normslanding

Thanks Bryan, I will look into it. My friend also engraved the date on the reel, 1958. So it is a fairly early version, I hope it has the correct sleeve post.
If not I will find one.

Normslanding

Bryan, I have several questions. I looked thru all 11 pages of stuff about Alan's SS bridge sleeve. I did not see any info about the I.D. or about bridge post O.D. My 3-99 bridge post measures 0.187", 4.76mm, will it work with Alan's sleeve? If not what will?
The gears in my 259 are steel, and in very good shape. The washers are HT100. I would assume your 5 stack will give me a little more drag, if so that
will be the way for me to go. will the 5 stack require the fine thread sleeve?
Are the cross bars on your reel from BP? I would prefer that to the 37-180 bars.
My 9-60 spacing sleeve measures 0.49", 12.47mm that is at the top of the chart on Scott's site. Will the SS spacer be of Value?
And lastly, I will use the correct star but is there anything else I can do to this reel? I do have Alan's handle.

George4741

Dave, the 259 is a classy looking reel, with the chrome rings and all.  I sometimes see the 506 spacer bars on ebay, as well as the Newell ones, so be patient.  Shortening the wide 500 bars might be difficult, getting them the exact length and the ends squared.

BTW check your email.
George
viurem lliures o morirem

Normslanding

Thanks, no blue sky picture about bar modification! That is a last resort, or a fill in until bars pop up.
   Thanks again.

Bryan Young

Hi Dave.

Let me pull my reel apart to see what the gear sleeve shaft ID is and will get back to you.

With my 5 stack drag kit, you should get a comfortable 12# of drag.  You don't need the fine thread gear sleeve.  I just like it better because the fine adjustment is easier.  The course gear sleeve, the drag tends to jump up quickly.

Parts - spacer bars, spools,...let me see what I have around.

The crossbars on my reels are from Penn.  BP didn't have the SS ones available at the time of the build.

SS spacer from BP - For this reel, I don't think it's necessary because of the low drag setting of #12 or so.  If the drag setting was near my jigmaster kit, I would highly recommend it.  What happens is that the spacer during hard cranking, rests on the sideplate, which helps keeps the gears in alignment.  I was thinking of making this part out of Delrin similar to Newell's design, but never gotten around to it... and now I don't need to.  :D

I think that's about it you can do to this reel other than a SS handle arm and AT's 3/0 handle...just a great balanced reel.

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Normslanding

Bryan, I have acquired a new 30-99 seat, and two new 501 bars. So I am getting a little closer to having what I need.

fIsHsTiiCkS

Great Job Bryan, I really liked my 1/0 build and am getting into putting one of these 259's together. I am debating on narrowing it like this and this this will be a great 20-25# reel.

Quote from: noyb72 on February 23, 2014, 08:25:24 AM
OK,
This page:
https://www.mysticparts.com/pennParts/Penn259.aspx

Thanks
Ron

The 259 is just a wide 1/0 that has been relabeled. All other side plate and internal design is the same. The jigmaster pinion (13-500) fits both the 1/0, 259 and 99 reels and brings this reel up to a 3.3:1 gear ratio (same as the squidder). Also, when BP rolls out his squidder gears, they will be a direct drop in for the 259, 1/0 and 99 reels.