Penn Long Beach Live Bait Reel (259) narrowed

Started by Bryan Young, February 21, 2014, 07:28:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryan Young

Quote from: Normslanding on January 11, 2015, 10:44:41 PM
Bryan, I have acquired a new 30-99 seat, and two new 501 bars. So I am getting a little closer to having what I need.
That's great Normslanding.  I'm building a lefty for my son.

Quote from: fIsHsTiiCkS on March 24, 2015, 09:16:08 AM
Great Job Bryan, I really liked my 1/0 build and am getting into putting one of these 259's together. I am debating on narrowing it like this and this this will be a great 20-25# reel.

Quote from: noyb72 on February 23, 2014, 08:25:24 AM
OK,
This page:
https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Penn259.aspx

says the 259 uses the 13-500 pinion, and it doesn't list the gear ratio. Where are you guys seeing that it uses the 13-140? I think it should use the 13-140, because then it would be the same as the 110, but that isn't what Scott's says.

Thanks
Ron

The 259 is just a wide 1/0 that has been relabeled. All other side plate and internal design is the same. The jigmaster pinion (13-500) fits both the 1/0, 259 and 99 reels and brings this reel up to a 3.3:1 gear ratio (same as the squidder). Also, when BP rolls out his squidder gears, they will be a direct drop in for the 259, 1/0 and 99 reels.
I'm thinking of building a 99 width one as well....thinking.  Would be neat to have a narrow, medium and normal 259 while fishing.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

mo65

Quote from: Bryan Young on March 24, 2015, 02:28:17 PM
I'm thinking of building a 99 width one as well.

Exactly what I'm thinkin' too...so maybe someone can answer a question for me: Is the Tiburon P29K frame drilled to accept LB 259/Senator 110 sideplates? I saw on their site the P20 is...just wondered about the "99" size frame.
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Maxed Out

Quote from: Normslanding on January 11, 2015, 10:44:41 PM
Bryan, I have acquired a new 30-99 seat, and two new 501 bars. So I am getting a little closer to having what I need.

The 99 seat is wider than 501.

I believe you'll need a 30-110 seat for a 501 spool and bars to work.
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Bryan Young

Quote from: mo65 on November 05, 2016, 08:38:18 PM
Quote from: Bryan Young on March 24, 2015, 02:28:17 PM
I'm thinking of building a 99 width one as well.

Exactly what I'm thinkin' too...so maybe someone can answer a question for me: Is the Tiburon P29K frame drilled to accept LB 259/Senator 110 sideplates? I saw on their site the P20 is...just wondered about the "99" size frame.
I'm unsure of the Tib frame sizes. Sorry.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Decker

Great thread! Just picked up a 259 as part of an auction lot and will post pics.   Aninteresting history lesson to compare it to a jigmaster...

mo65

OK...I can't stand it any longer...even though its not done I gotta sport my 259/99 conversion. I'm really liking this reel at 99 width. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Tightlines667

Quote from: mo65 on January 22, 2017, 10:50:41 PM
   OK...I can't stand it any longer...even though its not done I gotta sport my 259/99 conversion. I'm really liking this reel at 99 width. 8)

Wow!
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Maxed Out

Aha, now we know why Tiburon is out of silver 99 spools Lol

Looking good so far Mo
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Alto Mare

Quote from: mo65 on January 22, 2017, 10:50:41 PM
I don't blame you, beautiful reel!
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Ron Jones

I love the black and silver color scheme, I'm not usually picky about color but that looks great to me, especially with 4 rings. I'd love a silver framed Grouper Special. Maybe I'll get a Newell kit redone in silver some day.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

RowdyW

Ron, the 113h YTS Tiburon frame fits the "Grouper Special" & it comes in silver too.   ;D           
          Rudy

mhc

Good looking reel Mo, looking forward to seeing the finished reel. Are you going to put in one of Bryan's 5 stack drag kits for the 5-60 gears? It would make a good set with a silver framed grouper special - what's a small diameter grouper special called?

Ron, you're right about the black and silver color combination looking good on a grouper special and Rudy is right about the Tib YTS in silver or you could use Teds narrow base and bars in silver.

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

RowdyW

Bryan Young

Ron Jones

Quote from: RowdyW on January 23, 2017, 08:52:05 AM
Quote from: mhc on January 23, 2017, 08:22:11 AM
what's a small diameter grouper special called?

Mike
A bait special ???;D ;D ;D

This may only make sense to a few, but I think an appropriate name would be a scampi special. This thing would be perfect for slow dragging 2 tailed soft plastics in shore. A lot of reel for that task, but a perfect one in my book.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"