My Grouper Special

Started by Alto Mare, March 01, 2014, 04:26:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rancanfish

I never noticed there was a difference in the dogs.  Now I have to go look.   ;D
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Keta

The 15-500S has a spring notch.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

mo65

I picked up an old black plate 4/0 and decided I want to make one of these grouper specials. I think it might make a good catfishing reel in a situation where speed isn't critical. There's a ton of great info on this thread...great work fellas! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

mo65

I can't believe I made the last post on this thread almost 2 1/2 years ago...and just got around to doing this project! If Nelz hadn't mentioned wanting a faster 113 a few days ago I'd probably never remembered. This 113 is one that belonged to a friend who has passed on. It's not in the best of shape cosmetically, but functions very well. With that in mind, I decided to skip all the stainless and expensive parts...just make a slightly faster/stronger version of John's ol' 4/0. I suppose if I did trash the brass gear sleeve, I have a stash of extras to replace it.
   I ordered a new 149 main and 113H pinion from Mystic, then cobbled together a 5-stack from a few of Bryan's washers, 2 Mitch 302 washers, and a few stock Penn washers. The first photo is the new parts above the replaced ones. I couldn't resist double dogging it while I had it torn down. If I were going for large drag numbers I'd make it simultaneous dogs, but for the range I'll be in alternating sounds cooler. The second pic  shows how I used two flat springs on the new dog to get a good "slap". I noticed some folks had concerns about the second dog's spring being outside the bridge. My set up has everything contained under the bridge.
   I tested the retrieve after modding the reel, and it increased from 16 inches per turn to 20. The drag is much smoother now also. The third photo shows how an owner previous to John had inscribed "M S" on the reel. Funny I should end up with a reel that wears my initials...but I didn't scratch them on! 8)

Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Crow

Good work ! I may have to *have* one of those ::).
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

steelfish

great work Mo, you are a wizzard amigo.

making it 20" per turn reel doesnt put it too far from a stock 113h which is 26" (if I recall correctly) and thats pretty decent recovery Vs torque, I uninstalled a 4:1 steelgears on my 113h t4n1 special and installed some old steel 3:1 gears

my Mak15 in low speed recover 15" per turn !! pretty low for nomal fishing but really useful with 30+ angry groupers and yellowtails looking for structures here in Baja.
The Baja Guy

mhc

It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Alto Mare

Excellent job on that Grouper Special Mo! 👍

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

milne

Awesome Mo,  Great photo's and description.
        Particularly interested in this "double dogging" caper,  have one to attempt soon, so that's a great photo of yours.
       Cheers,

Col

mo65

Thanks everyone! Take your time with it Col...I've found the best approach when double-dogging is to analyze everything before diving in. Use simple things to help hold parts in place, like the tape I put on the flat springs, or a dab of grease on the coil spring. Don't freak out if a spring goes into orbit. Have extras on hand if one does leave earth.
   I learned a valuable lesson this time about grinding for clearance on a larger gear that I'll share: Do not test for fitment by using only two screws to hold the bridge in place! Use all four screws fully tight, as the bridge will move slightly when one screw or another is loose or missing. I thought I had full clearance for the larger gear, then fully assembled, and guess what? Yep...a slight rub. Also, test with drags tightened and loosened, as this will also shift the gear ever so slightly. 8)

Fishy247

Good info and ideas! Thanks for that Mo!

Benni3

Very nice work,,,,, ;) and great for big cats too,,,,, ;D

MarkT

I caught a 103# Gulf Grouper a few days ago using a Mak 20 SEa with 100#. That's now my grouper special!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Alto Mare

Quote from: MarkT on November 17, 2019, 01:40:58 AM
I caught a 103# Gulf Grouper a few days ago using a Mak 20 SEa with 100#. That's now my grouper special!
I knew you were always partial to the newer stuff Mark... good for you.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.