My Grouper Special

Started by Alto Mare, March 01, 2014, 04:26:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

milne

Quote from: mo65 on November 16, 2019, 03:04:46 PM
   Thanks everyone! Take your time with it Col...I've found the best approach when double-dogging is to analyze everything before diving in. Use simple things to help hold parts in place, like the tape I put on the flat springs, or a dab of grease on the coil spring. Don't freak out if a spring goes into orbit. Have extras on hand if one does leave earth.
   I learned a valuable lesson this time about grinding for clearance on a larger gear that I'll share: Do not test for fitment by using only two screws to hold the bridge in place! Use all four screws fully tight, as the bridge will move slightly when one screw or another is loose or missing. I thought I had full clearance for the larger gear, then fully assembled, and guess what? Yep...a slight rub. Also, test with drags tightened and loosened, as this will also shift the gear ever so slightly. 8)

Thanks Mo,  Good advice.
               I find it extremely fascinating, reading all the posts of those modding and especially double dogging.
I'm in no hurry, I'm still working on my Squidder and a couple of 113h's left in the cue.
  My first attempt at D/D' ing is going to be a 9/0, it will get the "full treatment".
  Just really enjoying reading the posts like yours and especially so when they have photo's.

Cheers

Col

nelz

Quote from: mo65 on November 15, 2019, 07:03:09 PMI can't believe I made the last post on this thread almost 2 1/2 years ago...and just got around to doing this project! If Nelz hadn't mentioned wanting a faster 113 a few days ago I'd probably never remembered.

A little late to comment but I just saw this. Congrats on that hopped-up 113 Mo. I have the parts but haven't gotten around to it yet. I'm really hesitant about grinding the plate to fit the 5-149. What's a good tool to do that with?

mo65

Quote from: nelz on November 25, 2019, 08:50:42 PM
Quote from: mo65 on November 15, 2019, 07:03:09 PMI can't believe I made the last post on this thread almost 2 1/2 years ago...and just got around to doing this project! If Nelz hadn't mentioned wanting a faster 113 a few days ago I'd probably never remembered.

A little late to comment but I just saw this. Congrats on that hopped-up 113 Mo. I have the parts but haven't gotten around to it yet. I'm really hesitant about grinding the plate to fit the 5-149. What's a good tool to do that with?

It's not that hard to do, I used my cheapo battery powered Dremel. I prefer the low power cheapo for plate grinding...it's too slow to mess up much! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Alto Mare

Quote from: mo65 on November 25, 2019, 09:31:14 PM

It's not that hard to do, I used my cheapo battery powered Dremel. I prefer the low power cheapo for plate grinding...it's too slow to mess up much! 8)
You make a good point Mo😁.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

nelz

mo65

Quote from: nelz on November 25, 2019, 11:22:40 PM
What bit do you use?

I've been asked this so many times. I don't know why I've never made a step by step tutorial of how to grind the plate. I guess it's because once you do one you realize how little is involved...it really is easier than it looks.
  Most plates look like the one in the first photo, they have an area for both left and right AR dogs. You'll be working in the red circled area. These plates are the easiest to mod, but the older style with no left side cut away can also be modded with just a little more grinding. The first thing I do is make the spring slot with a standard cut off wheel. Then I use that same wheel to rough out a "shelf" for the new dog to ride on, that cut off wheel is pictured third. I use the bit in the last pic(circled in blue) to finish the job, as it makes nice smooth 90 degree cuts, and the finished work looks very much like it was milled.
  This bit in the last photo is also a good one for enlarging the main gear's hole. A stone bit of similar dimensions works well too. This bit will "ride" on the terraced portion of the gear hole making enlargement a snap. 8)

nelz

Thanks Mo! I've got an old plate laying around that I'm going to practice on.

Alto Mare

Thanks for showing that pic Mo.

Nelz, this has been talked about many times in the past, it is just a matter of you looking for it.
There are a bunch of tutorials on the double dogs, most on the penn senator section.
Shark Hunter has some , I have a couple and other members also have some, as Justin , Mike and a few others.
I do know I have tutorials from the 100 to the 20/0, most show the bits used.
On the 20/0 , I used an end mill, it did a much better job , but it isn't as safe as the bits Mo is showing.
Those you can actually touch while spinning and won't cut you.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

mo65

I think the thread in the link below was the most helpful when I was researching the double dog system. It shows many people's versions, various spring types, and cutting methods.

https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=23505.0

milne

Mo, thanks, that's awesome info, cheers for sharing.
    My double dog effort probably wont happen till the new year now, but that's some great info and link on the subject.
  As you say, once you do one it becomes clearer, it's just that first one we have to do.
  So much info available in this place, but that's made it easier.  ( for us newbies)

Col

mo65

Quote from: milne on November 27, 2019, 01:59:14 AM
Mo, thanks, that's awesome info, cheers for sharing.
    My double dog effort probably wont happen till the new year now, but that's some great info and link on the subject.
  As you say, once you do one it becomes clearer, it's just that first one we have to do.
  So much info available in this place, but that's made it easier.  ( for us newbies)

Col

Just wondering if you ever tackled that double dog mod yet Col. 8)

milne

Hi Mo,  Hope all is well with you ??.

Mo, I have a sad confession to make, I haven't yet done the deed !!.

I can't believe how long ago that post was actually,,, BUT....
I have about 3 D/D projects on the go, I even collected some parts from some helpful contributors over your way, I think Ted may still have an item or two for me, which has been on hold for a while till I get things sorted.
My complete reel collection and all my project reels have been packed and boxed up for the best part of 4-5 months now, which has been completely frustrating.  We move states in to our new home January 26 and I think the pod containers arrive a couple of weeks later with all by bit's and pieces.
Fortunately for me, the new place has a giant shed/workshop, of which I can set up a permanent work shop and dedicate an area solely for all my wee projects.
I have book marked your excellent posts on how too and am looking forward to getting set up and getting stuck into the reels.
I shall report back here when I do with some project photo's.....

Regards
Col