My Grouper Special

Started by Alto Mare, March 01, 2014, 04:26:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

George, after seeing yours, I had to have one of my own, thanks for the inspiration ;).
Here is my Grouper Special:

Enjoy!
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Keta

Nice!  Mine doesn't look as good and I need to bore out the side plate to take the 66 bridge.  Does it have a octagon insert?
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

BMITCH

Nice looking reel Sal! A beauty as usual :)
luck is the residue of design.

Dominick

Sal it's a beauty.  Do they have grouper in New Jersey?  Come down to Mexico in June and put it to good use.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Alto Mare

Quote from: Keta on March 01, 2014, 04:32:51 PM
Nice!  Mine doesn't look as good and I need to bore out the side plate to take the 66 bridge.  Does it have a octagon insert?
Lee, this one has Bryan's 7+1 kit, yours is ready to go, I went the easy way, because this reel wasn't easy to do. BTW, why would you go with the 66? You could still use the Jigmaster stainless sleeve as I did with this one.
The plate doesn't need to be modified , it will work with both 66 & 113, unless you're trying to center the sleeve to the plate opening.

Quote from: Dominick on March 01, 2014, 06:05:24 PM
Sal it's a beauty.  Do they have grouper in New Jersey?  Come down to Mexico in June and put it to good use.  Dominick
Dominick, you'll be surprised on what we catch here, you're forgetting about the jet stream.
On my last Tuna trip we caught Mahi Mahi on the way back, but they're usually under 10 lbs.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Keta

I want to go from 2:1 to 2.5:1 for mine.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Ron Jones

I have done a few of the bridge swaps and have only had to cut one plate. I think the faster speed is about perfect.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Newell Nut

As usual you have produced another sweet reel. Nice workmanship Sal. Another winner.

Alto Mare

Thanks guys, I can't believe no one mentioned the 113H narrow kit yet ::), that spool is from the T4N kit, a narrow aluminum spool for the 113 doesn't exist, well it does now ;D
Lee, how were you going to get from the 2.1:1 to the 2.5:1 on this reel, could you let me know which gears you were going to use?

Shark Hunter

No modification to the spool? T4N kit + jigmaster sleeve + 4/0= grouper special. :o
Looks good Sal! ;)
Life is Good!

Cone

I'm sure Sal used his new lathe to modify the spool. I did a couple for John a while back. It's not hard to do. At least for Sal.   ;D
Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

Cone

Oh I forgot to tell you, the reel looks great Sal. It looks like your getting pretty good with the lathe. I can't wait to see what you come up with.  Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

Keta

Quote from: Alto Mare on March 02, 2014, 12:08:17 AM
Thanks guys, I can't believe no one mentioned the 113H narrow kit yet ::), that spool is from the T4N kit, a narrow aluminum spool for the 113 doesn't exist, well it does now ;D
Lee, how were you going to get from the 2.1:1 to the 2.5:1 on this reel, could you let me know which gears you were going to use?

5-66 main 13-49 pinion.  My narrow spool is a 66 spool.

Did you change the bearings or modify the spool shaft to get the narrow 113H spool to work?

Mark Twain

john2244

Nice reel Sal...  

John

Alto Mare

Quote from: Keta on March 02, 2014, 12:41:53 AM
Quote from: Alto Mare on March 02, 2014, 12:08:17 AM
Lee, how were you going to get from the 2.1:1 to the 2.6:1 on this reel, could you let me know which gears you were going to use?

5-66 main 13-49 pinion.  My narrow spool is a 66 spool.

I don't believe that will do it lee, you will be 1/16 too short.
Here is how I got to 2.6:1:

I used a 5-149 main and a 13-113H pinion, the gears are meshing nicely.
u will need to grind the opening about 1/16" to be able to fit the main gear

stock 2.1:1 ratio on the right, 2.6:1 on the left. gears have been tested under stress and did good.