My DIY linewinder.

Started by Mentonemoose, June 29, 2014, 09:43:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mentonemoose

For your approval. My personal solution to the ole problem of adding or removing line from our reels. This is quite honestly a combination of many of the concepts shared by other members of this forum as well as BD.com and All Coast combined with a few of my own. Understandably thanks are in order to the members who have shared ideas and photos of their own, if something looks like your idea it may well be.

Alto Mare

Cool stuff Moose, thanks for sharing, I also like the measuring wheel, nice touch.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Tightlines667

I use the same one.  

Nice machine.
Did you use any carbon fiber or spring washers for adjusting spool tension?
How does your line stripper work exactly?

Thanks for sharing!
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Mentonemoose

Using old newell fiber washers greased with calls between a couple of washers, just tighten the nuts then lock once its set. As for stripping I assume you mean for stripping line, I use an attachment I picked up at the Fred Hall. Basically you screw it on top of a water bottle then it goes in the chuck.

gstours

Great Idea and workmanship.  Next maybe show us a line tension-er to put braid on to keep it tight.........Thats important if you use spectra type lines........good work. gst.

harryk3616

Shark Hunter

Yes Harry! Very. He didn't take all the credit.
Looks very similar to yours.
Life is Good!

Mentonemoose

Admittedly part of my inspiration is from Harry's machine. The drag setup I'm using is based on what Inhotpursuit posted up. But the threaded bar is "keyed" into the board on the left so it doesn't try to spin under drag. Some of my design ideas are also based on the Sato machines.

Mentonemoose

The L bars I'm using are based on an idea I saw on BloodyDecks. They are $3. Plumbing wrenches from Harbor Freight with the ends trimmed down and then dipped in plasticoat. The drill I'm using is also from Harbor, and cost $35. on sale with a coupon. The digital line counter is also from Harbor and was a $12. counting wheel I cut down with my Dremel. Save for the drag washers which came from my Newell 533's the rest of the parts originated from Home Depot. All told the total cost was approximately $160. With is a song compared to the Sato machines.

Mentonemoose

Now all I need to pick up is one of Triangles spinning reel spool attachments. Unless someone here has an idea that is just as robust yet more cost conscious????? ;D  ;)  ;D

spize909

Very nice! It's a step up from what I made, that for sure.

Keta

Nice, where did you get the line counter?
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Mentonemoose

The line counter is a measuring wheel from Harbor Freight Tools.

Mentonemoose

My only issues with it is that it measures in feet and inches or meters, no yards. But meters are close enough for me, and it does measure to 1000, and remembers what the previous measurements were when it automatically shuts off from inactivity.