Penn Spinning Reels with HT100 use Penn Blue Grease on the washers.

Started by johnachak, July 17, 2014, 07:55:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnachak

I was on MysticParts site and was looking at the Battle 2 spinning reels. There is a video from Penn at the bottom of the reel page. The Penn representative clearly says that Penn uses Penn Blue Grease on the HT 100 washers in their spinners. I haven't been able to find out what they use on their conventional reels. He also stated that all Penn HT100 drags are greased now. I wonder what they use on the conventional reels.

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

johnachak

I just searched the Penn reels site and they still show the Battle. They haven't updated to Battle II yet. They mention HT100 but nothing else. Curious. The guy in the video I previously mentioned was discussing the Battle II. He outlined the "Improvements" over the original Battle. Greased HT100 was one of them.

handi2

Penn uses that grease in all of their reels. They have found that it has the best performance for the HT-100 drags. According to Penn themselves. It works great in the spinning reels and I use it on the drags also.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

handi2

The drag washers in the new Battle are now keyed like the Conflict reels. It's a much better system.
Gulf Breeze, FL

alantani

i sure hope this works out for them.  maybe they have a pure teflon grease that is colored blue!   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Tightlines667

Personally I have been very careful to keep the petroleum-based Penn Blue grease off of the HT-100 or DuraDrag material.  I have seen degradation on drag washers exposed to standard greases.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

johnachak

Quote from: alantani on July 18, 2014, 12:45:03 AM
i sure hope this works out for them.  maybe they have a pur teflon grease that is colored blue!   :-\

Nope, the gentleman said they use regular Penn Blue grease and they use it on all their HT 100 drags in their spinning reels. He was sure to specify "Spinning reels"

johnachak

Quote from: handi2 on July 17, 2014, 09:44:49 PM
Penn uses that grease in all of their reels. They have found that it has the best performance for the HT-100 drags. According to Penn themselves. It works great in the spinning reels and I use it on the drags also.

Oh, use Penn blue grease also. This is the first time I heard of Penn greasing drags from the factory. I also never heard of a non-Teflon grease used on drags period. I use Penn inside the reel and Cals on the drag washers.

Shark Hunter

I think I would stick to that method John. I keep Penn Blue on hand like I do my beer, but I don't use it on drags. ;)
Life is Good!

johnachak

I was thinking of trying it in my beer, but I thought better of it... (Only kidding).

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

johndtuttle

Quote from: Tightlines666 on July 18, 2014, 01:05:28 AM
Personally I have been very careful to keep the petroleum-based Penn Blue grease off of the HT-100 or DuraDrag material.  I have seen degradation on drag washers exposed to standard greases.

I really don't know how this is going to work out of Penn either and know nothing more than anyone else on this topic but one observation is that Penn feels their grease works fine on their HT-100 material. We know this is carbon fiber but know nothing of how it is put together etc to keep it all together... Hopefully they have done their homework on this one and it works over time.

generally, the spinning reels in question don't experience long runs that generate serious heat so conceivably anything would work as long as the grease did not attack the washer material.

dunno  ???

handi2

Just to clarify I use it on the small spinning reels only..! All of Penn's spinning reels I service have their blue grease on the drags. From the Torque and down...
Gulf Breeze, FL

johnachak

I wonder when they started this practice. The newest spinners I have done are my Slammers and they were all dry HT100 drags. The spinners I service for others are almost entirely the Z series mostly 704's, 710's and &712's.

johndtuttle

Quote from: johnachak on July 31, 2014, 01:26:02 PM
I wonder when they started this practice. The newest spinners I have done are my Slammers and they were all dry HT100 drags. The spinners I service for others are almost entirely the Z series mostly 704's, 710's and &712's.

This is very recent.