Penn 114 6/0 circa 1980ish

Started by jonnou, July 28, 2014, 09:02:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonnou

Howdy all I was just trolling through old posts looking for some info on a 114h
its My father in law's. He said he bought it about 30 years ago.
In good shape just some wear and surface Corrosion.
It had Ht100 drags that were packed with grease. But I think it isnt Teflon based?
I have cleaned it all up ready for reassembly But I am not sure about the dog spring. It as a bent strip of metal it also has a twist in  it
I am not sure if this is right ? I think it should be a straight bent shape?
I was looking for a previous post that might show a pic But then I thought I might be Just be easier to ask  :-\
Thanks Guys
Jon

cwillis85

I just rebuild mine a couple days ago, your right no twist just the bend, probably best just to pick up a new one from scott's, heres the link, just double check that this is your model reel.         https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/14-114.aspx

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

Chris

jonnou

Thanks CWillis
Im the fix it up sort of chappie
I will try to put it back into shape first. It explains some of the wear on the Dog
and maybe the roughness winding when Out of gear.

Shark Hunter

It should have no twists in it jon. Just a straight piece of thin brass with an L shape. I replace all mine with stainless ones as well as the dogs.
Life is Good!

cwillis85

I'm with you, if I can fix it without dropping any change that's the route I go, unless of course the part is toast or there is a stainless upgrade, then I spend a night or two with a chunk of stainless and a dremal. Best way to unwind from a day of chasing around my daughter. In this instance I would be careful about reshaping the old part, if you plan on fishing the reel again. Once a small piece of brass like this spring gets deformed it tends to want to get out of shape again very easily. Since this little part could completely disable your anti reverse, I hear fighting a fish without anti reverse is no fun.  ;D I would consider a new part, if you can find it or build it stainless is an extra bonus.     Just my two cents, good luck either way.
Chris

floating doc

Quote from: Shark Hunter on July 29, 2014, 06:30:23 AM
It should have no twists in it jon. Just a straight piece of thin brass with an L shape. I replace all mine with stainless ones as well as the dogs.

Are you making the springs yourself?
Central Florida

Shark Hunter

Brian had some for $1.00. I bought all he had and have been doing the double dog shuffle ever since. ;)
I know Sal has some Titanium sheet he got from Gary that he uses. I need to get some of that! ;D
Life is Good!

jonnou

I have successfully reshaped original spring
is it brass
Is Stainless a better Metal?
I would of thought it was too soft for a spring. ?
Titanium Light but is that a good spring. Just Interested?
My feeling is that the original has lasted about 30yrs and was probably twisted during poor installation
it is not subject to corrosion.
should be good to go.

thanks all

also does anyone Know the aprox date for this model
Ht100s and one peice frame anodised spool (I think)

Alto Mare

I'm 99% sure the bent on the spring was related to poor installation, all three materials mentioned above will do just fine, you will be ok with yours.
Having the second dog, it's a good idea to find a spring that will hold tension a little better than the brass spring.
As for dating your reel, show some shots if you can.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Alto Mare

Quote from: cwillis85 on July 28, 2014, 12:53:23 PM
I just rebuild mine a couple days ago, your right no twist just the bend, probably best just to pick up a new one from scott's, heres the link, just double check that this is your model reel.                    https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/14-114.aspx
Welcome cwillis, did you introduce yourself over by the welcome posts? I must have missed it. Anyways, enjoy your stay...love your avatar, that's about the right age to get them started ;).
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

cwillis85

I believe I did something in the welcome section a few weeks back, not sure if it was in the right spot though. Thanks for the welcome and thanks for the info you put up on the SS reels. My step father gave me his 750ss he bought for striper fishing as a wedding present and ever since I have been upgrading thanks in big part to your postings. My step father keeps giving me a hard time because I send him more pics of upgrades to his old reel than of fish I have caught with it. Lol. Thanks again, your knowledge is a godsend for us rookies.
Chris

Dominick

Quote from: cwillis85 on July 31, 2014, 03:56:16 PM
My step father keeps giving me a hard time because I send him more pics of upgrades to his old reel than of fish I have caught with it. Lol.

That's funny.   ;D ;D Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

jonnou

Just Got another 114 for cheep not working order ;D ;D
This is a HLW and has the later Model sideplate has a stamp that shows it is from 1995 october
Must be they changed somewhere between to 80s and 90s ?

this reel will be fixed when the bridge screw that holds the dog is replaced
Loving these REELS
Cheers Jon