Line spooler

Started by Tiddlerbasher, August 20, 2014, 04:27:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiddlerbasher

Hi Folks,
I have finally finished my line spooler "The Drag Queen"  :D:

I had some interesting results comparing Kevlar and carbontex (both dry). They both produced similar drag characteristcs but for a given drag the Kevlar produced less heat  ???
Both materials were setup to provide 10lbs of drag (determined by a spring balance). I then ran down a freshly charged battery on my portable drill - Kevlar 9 degrees C cooler  ??? (measured at the same point adjacent to the drag disc).
Measuring the drag (with both materials) before and after showed similar fade characteristics, Kevlar 2% Carbontex 3.5% nothing in it! Comfortable (for the drive chain and reel mount) max drag 20lbs. I re-spooled with braid several times to check if the extra drag would allow for more line (ie tighter packing) but found that anything above 10lbs was a waste of time - I'm guessing that the minimal stretch of braid is removed by 10lbs, so 20lbs makes no difference. I am definitely open to suggestions on that one :D
One weired thing that did show up - I slapped a cf washer between the Kevlar and disc plate - it worked fine. But when I removed the CF the kevlar (on its own) had drastically reduced drag for a given pressure  ??? ??? I tried cleaning the kevlar with IPA but no go, I had to replace it :( I haven't got a clue what was happening there.

I tried several method of gearing down the motor to achive more torque. I finally settled on toothed timing belts and pulleys to give a ratio of 12.5:1. The final drive speed to the reel is 3 revs a second (180 rpm). Re-spooling my Okuma Andros (with the original braid), on this jig, has left a a gap of 3/16 to the edge of the spool (1/8 more than the previous spooling attempt  :o). I'm gonna have to get some more braid now and re-spool the rest of my collection :D

harryk3616

a reel work of art, fantastic job, thanks for sharing

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Robert Janssen

Bryan Young

Wow....WOW!!!  That is what I had in mind, but way better.  WOW.  Thank you for sharing.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

foakes

Beautiful engineering -- great work!
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Dominick

Quote from: foakes on August 20, 2014, 06:22:22 PM
Beautiful engineering -- great work!
Well said.  That is some very talented work Chris.  I could not do a job like that.  I am very impressed.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Cone

Very Nice! It looks like you've been thinking.
Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

Tightlines667

Wow!  Quite impressive!  I like the use of the belt-driven ebike motor for power, the spool attachment method, and the design of your drag system.  Any chance we could see any preassembly pics of the drag system?  I foot pedal on/off and/or speed control switch might be handy, since it is often useful to have both hands available while spooling/stripping line. You could go into business selling this beast.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

wallacewt

great stuff
slow revs/10lb drag,perfect

broadway

Thorough and well thought out... nice job!
Love the line winder ;)
Thanks for sharing,
Dom

floating doc

Central Florida