Penn 209 Shark Slayer

Started by pompano joe, November 17, 2014, 11:58:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pompano joe

It's probably doesn't fit the forum's TANK criteria, but the results were truly amazing.  A college student named Johnny who comes by the shop regularly recently brought in a 209 that belonged to his dad.  He and a group of his buds from school are absolutely crazy about fishing and stand-outs on the local fishing forum (Pensacola Fishing Forum). 

The reel was in great shape, so it was a simple matter of cleaning her up and adding a few mods.  After disassembling and degreasing I put it all back together.  Additions were an older steel main gear, Carbontex fiber drag washers, Alan's stainless gear sleeve, 3 position SS long stroke power handle and aluminum jigging knob. Had to go back in and replace the original pinion gear that collapse at 15 pounds of drag.  I think we found the design limitation on that piece. 

The results...Sawyer, the ring-leader of "The Young Guns", as I like to call them, put a healthy 5 1/2 foot, 100+ pound Bull Shark on the beach with her.  These guys were super stoked.  I was just glad to be a part.
Pompano Joe

foakes

Hi Joe --

It's great to see the younger generation getting involved in fishing activities.

Great report & good job on that old 209.

How did the LW hold up -- or was it removed?

Hard for me to see how the nylon idler gear or LW would hold up in these conditions.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Shark Hunter

Awesome fish with an Awesome reel. Your reputation is well known in the gulf area Joe. I only make it there two or three times a year, but I have heard your name mentioned more than once. ;)
Life is Good!

pompano joe

Quote from: foakes on November 18, 2014, 12:07:31 AM

How did the LW hold up -- or was it removed?

Level wind still intact!  So far, so good.
Pompano Joe

pompano joe

Quote from: Shark Hunter on November 18, 2014, 12:32:03 AM
Awesome fish with an Awesome reel. Your reputation is well known in the gulf area Joe. I only make it there two or three times a year, but I have heard your name mentioned more than once. ;)

Thanks!  Huge compliment coming from you!  Let me know next time you're in my area...we'll fry some fish!
Pompano Joe

Bryan Young

Very amazing...such a big shark with that reel.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

SacFly

Cool job on the reel, and that shark pic is awesome.

Dominick

Wow!  I would have said it would not work.  I'm glad you did not fry it.  Good job.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

DaBigOno

Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

Maxed Out

Holy shaazam batman !!! Love the 209's,  I bet that was one fun battle with that beast. I know you are already planning on besting this catch, and why not ??? I certainly would. I have no doubt you could go bigger, but I suggest a life vest in case it decides to pull you out to sea....I think that happened on gilligans island one time. lol

Another example of why penn reels hold more IFGA world records than all other reels combined.
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

FatTuna

That is a very impressive fish on a 209.

alantani

you know, joe, you're doing some really nice work!!!!!!  ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Alto Mare

Joe has lots of friends, some told me about him and all had good things to say...nice work Joe.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Tightlines667

Photo of the month candidate here?
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!