MAGNUM 500 - PENN JIGMASTER

Started by DaBigOno, February 21, 2015, 05:56:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Hall

That's a good looking build, Makes me antsy to get mine going!  I'm still in the tracking down parts phase.

DaBigOno

Quote from: Max Doubt on February 11, 2016, 05:59:22 PM
Finally got around to upgrading my magnum. Steel sleeve/dog, steel gears and a fresh 5 stack. I didn't care for the black spool so I located a gold one and freshened it right up.

Wow!  :o  :o  I have to agree with you Ted, that gold spool really made a big difference, but that reel ain't no beater!
Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

Tightlines667

Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

steelhead_killer

><)))">

broadway

I like the handle you put on her, too... gives a vintage feel to it.
Sweet stuff,
Dom

PacRat

Ted, How well do those spools center on your frame? You commented on mine advising me to see if I could move the bearing a little deeper into the headplate but mine are bottomed on that side.

I'm still trying to decide if I should cut the bearing recess a few thousandths deeper on the headplate or try a different spool. Are you looking to sell your black spool?
Mike

Maxed Out

Hi Mike, the black spool was for a regular 500, not a magnum.

I was going to mention the spool on this one is exactly centered. I will remove the spool and measure the shaft on mine so you can see if yours is different.

First thing tomorrow I'll post up a bunch of measuring points for you to do comparison on yours.

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Quote from: PacRat on February 12, 2016, 05:10:18 AM
Ted, How well do those spools center on your frame? You commented on mine advising me to see if I could move the bearing a little deeper into the headplate but mine are bottomed on that side.

I'm still trying to decide if I should cut the bearing recess a few thousandths deeper on the headplate or try a different spool. Are you looking to sell your black spool?
Mike

Mike, if that's the spool that I sent to you and you think that the problem is with the spool, you can send it back for a full refund, but if you want to return it, please do not shorten the shaft or modify the shoulder.

I still have two complete Jigmaster 500 Magnums and the spools are centered.  They were like that when I bought them, so I do not know if the original owners did any work to center them, but I would guess not.   If the spool that you are using is the one that I sent to you, I took it out of a reel to convert the reel to a 99 Magnum, but I'm pretty sure that it was centered because I think that I would have noticed it if it wasn't.   

Please take this suggestion for what it is worth coming from someone devoid of any mechanical aptitude, but if you can pull the bearing out of the right side plate (I am guessing that it is a stock Penn 113H bearing), could you grind the back side down to move the spool over to the right the necessary distance to center it, and see if that causes a problem with the pinion gear?  If it works, then you should be able to deepen the bearing cup with a high degree of confidence that you have solved the problem.  If it doesn't work, then you have only ruined a replaceable bearing instead of permanently modifying the side plate by digging out the bearing cup deeper.  On the other hand, if you did decide to deepen the bearing cup and found that was not the best solution, it wouldn't be the end of the world because you could always put some sort of spacer in the bottom of the hole to move the bearing back to its original position. 

Good luck!

Randy

PacRat

Randy,
Thanks for the suggestions. I've noticed photos of several Magnum 500s that don't allow the spool to get deep enough into the head plate. I saw one on ebay last week that looked like it had the same condition.

Too bad Accurate didn't put adjustable bearing cups on both sides. I'm looking forward to comparing spool/shaft dimensions. Maybe the Accurate assembly people had a procedure for dealing with this when they assembled??

I like your suggestion about modifying the bearing first and I may do this with Tom's bushing that came with his Cortez Conversion plates. One of the first things I researched was bearings and was hoping I could just purchase a narrower/thinner bearing.

Because my reel is cobbled together out of many parts I do plan to fish it on occasion. I've been waiting for Alan's DD bridge to release and so I won't modify a thing until completely assembled (except maybe a brass bushing for test fitting). I've now seen photos of three Magnums that look like this and I think it's unique to the 500 width. I'm wondering if Accurate was aware of this but it didn't really matter with mono but I'm certain mine will eat braid.

Thanks for all the help.
Mike

Maxed Out

Here's a few measurement Mike.

2nd pic is from outer edge of tail plate to the face of the headplate bearing

PacRat

Ted,
Thank you so much. I will post my dimensions once I get a chance to measure.

Randy,
I followed your advice and counter-bored one of Tom's bushings and this is a huge improvement. I won't dial it in exactly until I have a bridge and gears in it. Hell, I may just leave this a bushings reel and forget about the bearings. I do need to pull the bushing back out and re-measure everything to make certain that the tip of the spool shaft is not bottoming out on the bottom of the bearing recess. I think I counter-bored deeper than what the spool actually moved as it is not perfectly centered but it will no longer eat braid.

Thanks guys
Mike

Maxed Out

..and about the tolerance on the drive side plate. I doubt 5# test line could get in that tiny gap

PacRat

Ted,
Here's a copy of my spool dimensions for comparison. They are pretty darn close. I'm figuring to center my spool I need to move it up to 1.27mm or 0.05" inches. This is for optimum centering so I could stand to go a little less. Right now with no bridge or gears I can see light through the gap and can slip a 0.002"/.051mm feeler gauge in parallel to the inner face of the plate. I'm not concerned with the circumferential gap as that requires some clearance. The .051mm gap seems small but 80 lb. hollow braid is .041mm and will slip right in. Here's a copy of my dimensions I added Ted's dimensions in grey for easy comparison.
Mike

DaBigOno

I'll try to get some pics and measurements this weekend also.
Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

PacRat

I made good headway while I had the spool out for measuring. The tip of the shaft is not contacting the bottom of the bearing recess confirming that it is contacting at the shaft shoulder to the bearing. My bearing does not sit flush in the plate and the recess is clean but it is shallow. I'm starting to wonder if there was a whole run of plates with shallow bearing recesses?

I counter-bored one of Toms bushings for the drive side and the spool is now centered perfectly so I know that I can bore the bearing recess the same additional depth as I did the bushing and then the spool will center. I could also just leave the bushings and be done with it. The plate bearing recess only needs to be 0.05" deeper for a centered spool.

Mike