Previous topic - Next topic

DaBigOno

We all love a Penn 501

How about a Penn 501 MAGNUM!

The identify mark of a Magnum
Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

David Hall

Ooh that's purty.
Load that up with upgrades and spool it full of 130lb. Braid and mono topshot and go tuna fishing!

steelhead_killer

I have enough reels, I have enough reels, I have enough reels...but I don't have that one! 
><)))">

Maxed Out

There is no such thing as a 501 magnum................................Till Now :o :o

Thanks for sharing your gem Al.......now I'm on a mission ;)

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

David Hall

Quote from: Maxed Out on May 05, 2016, 05:59:32 PM
There is no such thing as a 501 magnum................................Till Now :o :o

Thanks for sharing your gem Al.......now I'm on a mission ;)

Ted

We're going to be seeing some new magnums here, I'm about to start work on a 99, just waiting for Alan's bridge to arrive, this thread will live forever!

David Hall

Oh I love my mailman!
Today he brought me a gorgeous black mint condition 4/0 Magnum, courtesy of our number one resource, Mr. Randy Pauly of Vintage Offshore Tackle.  
Pics you say?

DaBigOno

Quote from: David Hall on May 05, 2016, 11:50:03 PM
Oh I love my mailman!
Today he brought me a gorgeous black mint condition 4/0 Magnum, courtesy of our number one resource, Mr. Randy Pauly of Vintage Offshore Tackle.  
Pics you say?

Yes!  We need pics or it didn't happen.  😃

How about a full break down with pics and a bit of illustration of what, how and why... Etc.

Alto Mare

You got some cool stuff Al.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Shark Hunter

Big Al has it going on. ;D
The Man has skills.
Life is Good!

David Hall

DaBigOno

Wow! That's all I got to say  :o

David Hall

There's not much that can be done with this reel, stainless gear sleeve and drag insert kit is about it.
I just had to have one to round out my collection, now I have one of each , squidder, jigmaster, 3/0 and 4/0 mags.

I'm going to start my jigmaster build as soon as Alan C sends me my DD bridge and One of Lou's custom T knobs.  I have Adams insert, star and handle, PC 10 tooth gear sleeve, and an accurate 99 frame and spool to narrow it down, it's one of two black JMMs I have and this one will be fished. 

I hope one day our in house design builders come up with magnum style parts for us to retrofit our reels with.
The squidder is the one I'd really like to see, a small reel with upgraded jigmaster internals, Adams insert or PC 2nd gen gear sets would pump the drag up to phenomenal numbers and this little reel could be fished with 80-100 lb. test!  Just imagine the class of fish we could take with that!  I'm taking one of my magnums on a cow tuna hunt one of these days.

Tightlines667

Quote from: David Hall on May 06, 2016, 07:51:58 PM

I hope one day our in house design builders come up with magnum style parts for us to retrofit our reels with.
The squidder is the one I'd really like to see, a small reel with upgraded jigmaster internals, Adams insert or PC 2nd gen gear sets would pump the drag up to phenomenal numbers and this little reel could be fished with 80-100 lb. test!  Just imagine the class of fish we could take with that!  I'm taking one of my magnums on a cow tuna hunt one of these days.

That is a great thought David, and one likely shared by many members.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

PacRat

She's almost there. Built from spare parts with a lot of help (and good advice) from Randy and a lot assistance from members here. Big Al really inspired me to go forward with this after it sat on the back burner for too long. I could not have completed this without all the help...thank you everyone. Still waiting on a double-dog bridge but she's 100% functional now. Some of the challenges were; fabricating a gear cover plate from scratch (this one is aluminum but I hope to make one from stainless...or find an original). Modifying a stainless yoke was also a chore as they are made of very hard steel. Centering the spool side-to-side was accomplished by milling the head-plate bearing pocket slightly deeper with an end-mill then shimming the bearing with shims from McMaster-Carr.

The spool is very well centered now.

DaBigOno

That's a beauty of a reel Mike!   I'm glad you got'er dun...
Great job on centering the spool and fabbing a lower gear plate 👍🏾👍🏾

Keep up the great work,
Al