Maxel Sealion two speed antireverse question...

Started by Wwen, February 25, 2015, 10:02:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wwen

I got to feel a friends jigging master and Maxel reels and I have to admit these reels have very solid antireverse and cranking power if you can endure the ratchet and noise. I actually kind of like the noise...

Anyways the single speed noisy Maxel had zero backplay very smooth and very clicky for lack of better word. I've been looking at the schematics of the two speed and it seems the anti reverse setup is the same on both.

Two speed
http://www.maxelfishing.com/skin/frontend/maxelpackage/maxelThemeAuEn/pdf-schematic/SL12D.pdf

Single speed:
http://www.maxelfishing.com/skin/frontend/maxelpackage/maxelThemeAuEn/pdf-schematic/OSL12D.pdf

My question for yall is can you tell by the schematics if the Sealion Two speed has a solid antireverse? Will it have zero slop or backplay?

jonnou

Reinaard van der Vossen

Not sure whether I recall correctly. It might be the case that the single speed has two anti reverse bearings and no dogs and that the two speed has dogs and no or just one arb without the space for a second arb.

I've read it somewhere but do not know where it was. Also not sure if I recall correctly but it was something like that. It applied to a somewhat larger maxel like size 11 or so.

Edit: possibly sl11 model. Yes, there is space for arb's but the arb seems to get in the way of the gear shifting system with (some)  two speed models and therefore double dogs are installed with no arb. I'm not sure about the accuracy of the information.

Edit2: SL11 model and not SLY1

Wwen

Quote from: Reinaard van der Vossen on February 27, 2015, 05:57:34 PM
Not sure whether I recall correctly. It might be the case that the single speed has two anti reverse bearings and no dogs and that the two speed has dogs and no or just one arb without the space for a second arb.

I've read it somewhere but do not know where it was. Also not sure if I recall correctly but it was something like that. It applied to a somewhat larger maxel like size 11 or so.

Edit: possibly sly1 model. Yes, there is space for arb's but the arb seems to get in the way of the gear shifting system with (some)  two speed models and therefore double dogs are installed with no arb. I'm not sure about the accuracy of the information.
So the two speed would have more backplay than the single speed?

Reinaard van der Vossen

Possibly yes, if it is still the same as before and if that was correct in the first place.

Please note; I do not own a maxel reel.

A maxel seller could iinform you correctly

Wwen

Quote from: Reinaard van der Vossen on February 28, 2015, 06:36:37 AM
Possibly yes, if it is still the same as before and if that was correct in the first place.

Please note; I do not own a maxel reel.

A maxel seller could iinform you correctly
Just got reply from Maxel. There is indeed two dawgs and no antireverse bearing. How much backplay would this entail?

day0ne

Quote from: Wwen on February 28, 2015, 01:56:25 PM
How much backplay would this entail?

Depends on whether the dogs are set up as sequential or simultaneous. You need to check a reel to see if it bothers you. It's the only way to tell. BTW, back play doesn't bother me, jigging or otherwise.
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

Wwen

Backplay insnt a deal killer for me. But it is a nice luxury. I don't mind some backplay but a reel like the Avet Raptor has too much backplay. If not for that it would be an even better reel in my opinon.

Wwen

I believe the dawgs should be setup like this. I am not sure if this is simeutaneous or sequential...
https://www.dropbox.com/sc/ddrnf2uv4nwz810/AAD3gBnGKONLlu1bmi_sSUrja

day0ne

Quote from: Wwen on February 28, 2015, 11:20:29 PM
I believe the dawgs should be setup like this. I am not sure if this is simeutaneous or sequential...
https://www.dropbox.com/sc/ddrnf2uv4nwz810/AAD3gBnGKONLlu1bmi_sSUrja

Can't tell in that picture. Simultaneous means that both dogs engage at the same time. Strongest but more back play. Sequential means the dogs engage at different times. This lessens back play. More teeth for the dogs to engage will also lessen back play. I don't find that Avets have excessive back play but it's what ever feels good to you, or as we say, what ever cranks your tractor..
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter