113 Hn Baja special drags, dimensions?

Started by trond_solem, March 07, 2015, 10:30:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trond_solem

Does anyone have the exact dimensions of the Baja Special drags?

ID, OD excluding the ears, radius of the ears, OD measured on top of the ears, thickness.

Robert Janssen

Yes, Sal answered this question explicitly a couple of years ago when i started messing with ears, hex drags and all that.

Just gimme a few minutes to find the thread.

Robert Janssen

oh, that wasn't so hard to find... here, try this

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=6517.15

its for the 6-525 washer i think; don't recall exactly. Read the fine print.

trond_solem

Quote from: Robert Janssen on March 07, 2015, 11:47:09 AM

Thanks!
I had hopes for a insert into the 9/0 gear, but the max diameter of the drags are more than the ID of the gear.
Any eared drag washers with a slightly smaller OD?
I can make a cutter to cut drag washers myself, but it it easyer to buy them.

fIsHsTiiCkS

Quote from: trond_solem on March 07, 2015, 12:30:49 PM

Thanks!
I had hopes for a insert into the 9/0 gear, but the max diameter of the drags are more than the ID of the gear.

I think Adam is coming out with an insert for the 6/0-9/0 gear

trond_solem

Quote from: fIsHsTiiCkS on March 07, 2015, 01:29:57 PM
Quote from: trond_solem on March 07, 2015, 12:30:49 PM

Thanks!

Yes, but that one requires custom drag washers. I was hoping for a solution that could use common available (stock) drag washers.

Alto Mare

Quote from: fIsHsTiiCkS on March 07, 2015, 01:29:57 PM

Yes, Adam did come with the inserts, I just got done testing them.
I wasn't able to go outside, everything is frozen. All I will tell you for now is that I got some crazy numbers, ok I'll tell you.
The unbelievable numbers I got by holding the reel with my two hands and pulling, was 70lb.
I'm having problems downloading pictures from the phone to the computer, I will post later at its own location.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Alto Mare

Quote from: trond_solem on March 07, 2015, 01:44:19 PM

Yes, but that one requires custom drag washers. I was hoping for a solution that could use common available (stock) drag washers.

I tried that and it doesn't work. I've installed 11 or 13 carbon fiber washer in one of my reels, I don't remnember exactly. The drag jumped to 20lb, nothing before that and when it reached the max it was just a little more than the seven stack.

A stock 9/0 with 5 carbon fiber washers will max out at 30lb, you could get more, but I'm keeping it real. These would be the numbers from you turning the star with one hand. With that said, not everyone  has the same strength,  I'm sure I'm not as strong as some, this is based from me turning the star with one hand.
The stock reel 9/0 gets jerky at max, a good sign that it wouldn't be able to handle that load for a long stretch. The new latest upgrade gets you to 30lb with very little effort and remains very smooth .
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

trond_solem

Quote from: Alto Mare on March 07, 2015, 02:56:17 PM
The new latest upgrade gets you to 30lb with very little effort and remains very smooth .
Sal

That is exactly what I am looking for.

fIsHsTiiCkS

70lb?!? Is insane Sal. Great to know those inserts are coming along nicely!

Trond, if the insert isn't the way you want to go then there is always Bryans 7 stack that should give you 30lb smooth drag and you can cut those easy from sheets of cf. Also, Alan C. Is coming out with a versa drag style gear for the 9/0. I don't think that will be for awhile though.

Alto Mare

Yes, Bryan's kit will get you there a little smoother, you would still be at max. Comparing stock washers, (not taking thickness into consideration) with the custom insert is like comparing apples to oranges.
Trond, if you would like to keep the same shape as stock washers, Bryan's kit would be the way to go.
Sal

trond_solem

Quote from: Alto Mare on March 07, 2015, 03:27:05 PM
Yes, Bryan's kit will get you there a little smoother, you would still be at max. Comparing stock washers, (not taking thickness into consideration) with the custom insert is like comparing apples to oranges.
Trond, if you would like to keep the same shape as stock washers, Bryan's kit would be the way to go.
Sal

It may be, but the shipping cost and import taxes make them expensive. :-(

Keta

Quote from: trond_solem on March 07, 2015, 04:06:32 PM

It may be, but the shipping cost and import taxes make them expensive. :-(

For one or two sets there are better ways to get them to Scandinavia.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

day0ne

I believe trond_solem was talking about stock EARED washers, not regular drag washers. He wants to fit an insert or gear without making custom eared washers.
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

Tightlines667

Quote from: day0ne on March 07, 2015, 07:07:33 PM
I believe trond_solem was talking about stock EARED washers, not regular drag washers. He wants to fit an insert or gear without making custom eared washers.

I have been wondering this myself for sometime, but havn't really followed up on it.  There are now several different stock eared carbon fiber washers available.  Utilizing this size in a custom insert, or custom gearset might be worth exploring.  I am not familar with the dimensions and differences between the different washers that are currently available from the manufacturer, maybe someone else has already explored the existing possibilities here?

After a quick look through Scott's website it seems there are several different stock Penn eared CF washers currently available including those for the MAG, Baja, Squall, Fathom, Torque, Battle, and Conflict series of reels.  7+ different part numbers in total, by my quick count.

I'm not sure what the dimensions of any of these stock Penn washers are though.
-
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.