9/0 main gear

Started by fsrmn, April 16, 2015, 01:41:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fsrmn

I finally saved up a few dollars and bought an old 9/0 for some shark fishing. The reel is an old bushing model and seemed to function ok and just seemed to need the outside chrome rings and a good service. The reel was no beauty queen but would work for what I wanted it for. Well... after opening it up to service I noticed the gear was stripped about a 1/4" down from the top but the pinion gear was fine. I was wondering why that happened  ??? I don't seem to be able to remove the gear from the spindle. I have soaked it in PB Blaster, heated it, tried prying it and all I have done so far is destroy the washer underneath it and broke the tips off two screwdrivers  >:(. I don't want to damage the spindle or bridge by prying too hard, but I can't even seem to drive the little pin out to remove it from the bridge to get at it better. Any help would be appreciated.
Not all fishing is done with rod and reel.

Shark Hunter

That pin should come out Henry. I take a piece of 2x4 and cut a notch in it to steady the sleeve. I got that idea from Harry.
With the proper punch. It will come out.
Life is Good!

Keta

That's the way the gear was made.

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

foakes

Hi Henry --

Sometimes after digging, banging, and prying on those old abused drive trains -- we find out there are other issues that have developed or become worse when reassembled.  Looseness, wear, gouges, scoring, rust pits, distortions, etc..

And they will never run smooth -- no matter what we do.

If any of these will help -- they are new:

Bridge, sleeve, pin, steel main, steel pinion, delrin UG washer, yoke, Jack, dog spring

Hopefully your dog is good -- probably have one, but could not locate -- just 116 and 114.  The 115 dog is a specific part not shared with other Senators.

Retail at Scott's is $74, with brass gears + shipping.

You can have everything for $35.

The springs went out to you yesterday, and the DAM Quick 110 that you ordered from me, is scheduled to go out from the Post Office tomorrow.  Since it is coming your way, there is room to just put the 9/0 parts in the same box to save shipping charges.  You can pay me later-- and if the parts are not what you need -- just send them back -- no worries.

With the good advice from Lee and Daron -- You may have this all disassembled by this time -- and feel there is no need for these parts.

Just let me know.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Shark Hunter

That's a good deal Henry.
Life is Good!

fsrmn

Sounds great Fred, thanks! While you're throwing parts in my box... How about drag knobs for a 430ss and a 550ss? Maybe a bail arm guide for a Shakespeare Sigma 060, ereplacement #1145729? How about the plastic cap that holds the bail wire into the line roller? It looks like I might have to buy the whole bail assembly just to get the cap on ereplacement #114826.

fsrmn

Thanks to Daron's tip about the 2x4 and Keta informing me that the main wasn't stripped but made that way, I got the main gear off without any damage. I soaked it in a 50-50 mix of acetone and atf overnight. It took almost 2 hours of prying it up and tapping it back down until it finally came off. Everything is back together and as soon as I find some chrome rings to replace the broken ones it will be ready for the beach. If the rings don't cost too much I plan to buy some better looking posts and upgrade the drags next. Thanks to all for the help

Bill B

Sweet....Alan Tani Members to the rescue.....waaaay cool guys...
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

fsrmn

Yes, waaay cool ;D I have finished the reel and thanks to Aiala for the rings and posts I might be able to fish it this weekend ;D I wish I had taken some before pictures to show how crusty this reel was compared to how good it looks now. I know its no beauty queen but I don't think that will make a difference to the shark on the other end ;) The spool shows a band  of brass but it's polished and waxed so it shouldn't matter. 
Here are the pics you wanted Aiala. Thanks to everyone for the help!

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

fsrmn

Thanks Daron, that means a lot coming from you. Everyone here had a part in it. Even our leader, who showed us how to file the edges down to get the rings to fit. He made it seem a lot easier than it was though ;D

Aiala

Henry, glad I could help, and great job on restoring a grand old classic! Thanks for the pics... Lookin' good... Now go catch those grinners (but be sure to let 'em go afterwards.)  :D

~A~

I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D