Fixing a Penn 209

Started by bestout, April 21, 2015, 03:20:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bestout

So my friend just gave me his 209 to fix it. So this happen to the sleeve http://i.imgur.com/Blew0ht.jpg  http://i.imgur.com/GlFkyD2.jpg . The other issue was there was no anti reverse what so ever and as soon as i open the reel saw that there wasnt any spring on the dog so my other question will a jigmaster spring by cutting the little ear will it fit on this reel for the anti reverse.
The monsters in my head are scared......

fIsHsTiiCkS

Definitely time for a new gear sleeve. I would opt for a SS form Alan.

Cutting the tab off a jigmaster one might work, but that spring is cheap and easy to get if you just want to get the direct replacement.

Shark Hunter

Yikes!
Looks like the end of that sleeve was attacked by a pair of vice grips!
Life is Good!

bestout

Quote from: Shark Hunter on April 21, 2015, 04:47:27 AM
Yikes!

Yea i still cant imagine how that was done its like a perfect circle lol  :o

bestout

Quote from: fIsHsTiiCkS on April 21, 2015, 04:01:06 AM
Definitely time for a new gear sleeve. I would opt for a SS form Alan.

Cutting the tab off a jigmaster one might work, but that spring is cheap and easy to get if you just want to get the direct replacement.
yea ill have to call him tomorrow to see if he wants a ss sleeve

Keta

Quote from: Shark Hunter on April 21, 2015, 04:47:27 AM
Yikes!

Or a rabid beaver.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

alantani

stick with a brass 98-155 gear sleeve.  i'll try to find a 209 dog and spring as well.  no need to spend the extra cash for this. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

bestout

Quote from: alantani on April 21, 2015, 05:22:33 AM
stick with a brass 98-155 gear sleeve.  i'll try to find a 209 dog and spring as well.  no need to spend the extra cash for this. 
The dog was there just no spring. Dont worry about the dog. And i still have the extra sleeve i bought from you for my squidder,  just that i dont know if he will want the ss sleeve. Let me know how much irs for the spring.  Thanks Alan.

fIsHsTiiCkS

Only reason I say SS, because if he is chewing on the gear sleeves then the SS might last longer  :D ;) ;D

alantani

Quote from: fIsHsTiiCkS on April 21, 2015, 05:45:36 AM

Only reason I say SS, because if he is chewing on the gear sleeves then the SS might last longer  :D ;) ;D

true, that.......

alantani

joe, send me a pm with your address again and i'll find a spring to send out to you.

Mic

Now, let's keep in mind that I'm still learning here. But I think you may want to look closely at the handle and the screw that attaches it to the bridge. That damage looks like it was caused by incorrect drag washer stacking or something that prevented the screw from tightening up completely.

Again, just my uneducated opinion.

Good luck to ya!

Mic

foakes

Mic is right about what caused this rounding and gouging -- the handle.

Possibly either the handle hole was too distorted -- and enlarged.

Or the handle nut was loose -- which caused the angler to keep cranking, thus ruining the sleeve end.

New Brass sleeve would be fine for this reel -- providing the handle hole is crisp and not enlarged.

Always important to make sure there is no slop in the handle -- and that the handle is seated firmly as far down and tight as possible -- that is why Penn has used a handle nut lock screw for decades.

A typical scenario involves a star drag not screwed down far enough on the sleeve -- when the handle is attached it impacts the flat of the too high star.  Then when the angler tightens the drag -- they now have a loose handle.  Might not notice it until an issue occurs -- then the sleeve end and possibly the handle become ruined to some extent.

I would suspect that the handle hole on this reel is possibly also ruined enough to where it should not be used.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

bestout

Quote from: foakes on April 22, 2015, 02:12:24 PM
Mic is right about what caused this rounding and gouging -- the handle.

Possibly either the handle hole was too distorted -- and enlarged.

Or the handle nut was loose -- which caused the angler to keep cranking, thus ruining the sleeve end.

New Brass sleeve would be fine for this reel -- providing the handle hole is crisp and not enlarged.

Always important to make sure there is no slop in the handle -- and that the handle is seated firmly as far down and tight as possible -- that is why Penn has used a handle nut lock screw for decades.

A typical scenario involves a star drag not screwed down far enough on the sleeve -- when the handle is attached it impacts the flat of the too high star.  Then when the angler tightens the drag -- they now have a loose handle.  Might not notice it until an issue occurs -- then the sleeve end and possibly the handle become ruined to some extent.

I would suspect that the handle hole on this reel is possibly also ruined enough to where it should not be used.

Best,

Fred
Quote from: Mic on April 22, 2015, 01:36:54 PM
Now, let's keep in mind that I'm still learning here. But I think you may want to look closely at the handle and the screw that attaches it to the bridge. That damage looks like it was caused by incorrect drag washer stacking or something that prevented the screw from tightening up completely.

Again, just my uneducated opinion.

Good luck to ya!

Mic

yea the handle is rounded too but the screw went in fine to the sleeve Alan sent me. I had to replace his handle with a jigmaster one.  :(