Drag for Penn 970, 980, 990

Started by jbackos, April 27, 2015, 06:03:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbackos

Is the drag stack for these reels the same as the stack for the 113H? If so, do they also use the same washer under the gear?

Thanks

Rancanfish

I'm not sure on the 990 but yes for the 970 / 980.  I think I would use a delrin washer under the gear if you have one. And of course lightly grease all.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

handi2

I believe the stock metal drag washers are thinner in these reels.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

foakes

Keith is right -- the metal washers are the same diameter -- but a little thinner, and a different part number from the 113H -- this is on the 70s and 80s.

The CFs are the same-- and share the same part number on the 70s and 80s.

On the 90s -- everything is a little different from the 70s, 80s, and 113H -- will not interchange.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Rancanfish

That's why I should let the pro's answer.  I didn't consider the metal washers.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

jbackos

So in the case of the 990, is the Penn HT-100 equivalent or comparable to carbontex/smoothdrag?

foakes

Yes,

Both the HT-100 or CF discs from smooth drag will work equally well.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

fIsHsTiiCkS

A 5 stack drag stack is possible for this reel and puts out a solid amount of smooth drag

jbackos

jbackos

All,

MysticParts lists the same model number for the HT-100 washers for the 970, 980, 990. The number listed is 6-113H. I assume that this means the cf washers are the same. The metal washers are different, however.

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

handi2

The Carbontex drag washers from Dawn at Smooth drag are thinner than the HT-100 drag washers. They might help if you are trying to get more drag washers in the main gear.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

fIsHsTiiCkS

Quote from: jbackos on April 29, 2015, 02:49:03 AM
With the stock metal washers?

No, you would have to use the 0.5mm washers that Bryan sells for the 113h. Then use 0.65mm CF washers

intili

Unfortunately, those washers are not available, as I wanted to increase my drag stacks, but no longer an option

fIsHsTiiCkS

Quote from: intili on May 01, 2015, 04:02:42 PM
Unfortunately, those washers are not available, as I wanted to increase my drag stacks, but no longer an option

I have some I can send you if you really want them.