60 lb. Class Reel

Started by Rivverrat, May 23, 2015, 01:18:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rivverrat

Line capacity not a big issue. I'm wanting compact & light. What is your fav. reel for 60 lb. line.
2 top runners for me right now that I'm looking at to purchase are Penn US 113 & Andros 12 if I can ever get my hands on one. 2 different reels I know. If it weren't for durability issue regarding the lever drag that is what I would go with & not look back. I do wonder how much of this issue is from how most choose to use their lever drags.

Rivverrat

Never would of thought 60 lb. line & having a favored reel for it would be a rarity.

conchydong

If you could be more specific you might get some responses.
A "60lb." reel could be used for bait, trolling, bottom fishing, jigging, heavy spinning (popping) etc. etc. Different techniques and methods call for different types of reels.
Don't be afraid of lever drags for durability. I have 25+ year old Internationals that are as good as the day they were built.

foakes

Hi Jeff --

In trying to put myself on your River, and casting big baits over those log beds -- I would have to consider very strongly a Newell 631.

No upgrades necessary, except for a 5 stack set of Cal's greased CFs with a greased CF or Delrin under gear washer.  Maybe a better handle -- but this one will work well.

Lightweight at 24 - 27 ounces
All stainless steel components -- no upgrades needed
Narrow spool for a 60 pound rig -- 310 yards of 60, 250 yards of 80, or 200 yards of 100
4.2:1 gears
Larger crank handle for more torque
38" per crank

There are 2 gear ratios in the 600 series Newells -- 3:1 and 4.2:1.

In the 4.2:1 600 Series -- the 631-4.2 has the narrowest spool for better angler control of rod and reel.

Personally, if it were me going after a record on your River -- with your knowledge of the river and places that may hold a monster -- I would spool this with 100 lb mono -- put the biggest bait out there -- and expect action.

Because of the strength and lightweight-ness of this reel it would not be top heavy.

Yes, you could put any one of a number of heavy winches on your rod and catch these large fish.

However, if you want to be able to fight the fish and not the weight of a top heavy reel also -- this will allow you to do just that -- without the reel weight.  Lower center of gravity.  No other distractions -- just you and the fish.

One could also go with the 500 series, like a 533-4.6 -- and spool with 60 or 80.

Like you say, these monsters are brought up out of the logs by technique and experience -- along with properly prepared equipment.  You must be on top of your game, obviously.

Roger Penske, possibly the winningest race car team owner of all time says --

My definition of Luck is -- "Preparation Meeting Opportunity".

Good "Luck" in your quest,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Brendan

I realy like that quote. The preparation makes the opportunities count.

Rivverrat

Quote from: foakes on May 23, 2015, 02:18:54 PM

Personally, if it were me going after a record on your River -- with your knowledge of the river and places that may hold a monster -- I would spool this with 100 lb mono -- put the biggest bait out there -- and expect action.

Fred

Fred, 60 lb. reels would not be used around heavy structure much.   Being that I don't fish this type of structure every time that I'm out. My thoughts are this....if I cant get the drag on these 25N's to start acting right putting out an honest smooth 20 lb. drag I will look at 3 different reels to replace them. A 60 lb. class reel for me is an every day reel for the river. A reel that handles 60 lb. well will bring any thing that swims the river to boat or bank I would say 80% of the time I'm using it.....As stated prior by conchydong I should  have clarified.

You make another valid point regarding regarding a 100lb. reel. I don't have a legit reel in this class. I'm still looking. Some have suggested the Omoto Triple along with rehabbing  antique, delapidated Penns.  However after discussing these fish with several marine biologist sending pictures not of just the fish but also their innards to the Biologist not extremely familiar with them, the consensus was that this fish could very well have the capacity to move 2 - 3 times it's weight for short burst of time. With this info along with fishing in & against the structure that I do I'm thinking a reel that produces anything less than 40 lbs. of usable, fishable drag would not be one to be counted on. Weight on a reel of this caliber is unimportant to me based on how it will be used    

steelfish

wow.. that sounds like a serious river monsters

what kind of fish you are going after?

The Baja Guy

Rivverrat

Flathead & Blue cats.....So you know as I've stated before it does not take 100 lb. + line to land them. Imlooking at 60 lb. line class reels for every day a 100 lb. or heavier class reel would be used only when fishing log jams & heavy structure. In open water & no current, from a boat these fish can be whooped with much lighter gear.

conchydong

OK, so now I know what you are fishing for and I will defer as I know absolutely nothing about fishing giant freshwater cats unless a Grouper rig would be similar. Good luck with your choice, I am sure you will get some good input here.

steelfish

I have seem in some lakes in SD area that some guys use the 320gt and 330gti (USA models) to catch those big cats, but seems thare a tons of new reel models that offer high drag power its more what you like and how much do you want to spend.

okuma offerings are good.
penn fathom 40 its really light and hold really lot like ( I have one with 400yd of 80#)
penn torque
okuma catalina
etc

and of course the good old 113h with some tricks here and there is unstoppable.

The Baja Guy

Porthos

What metropolitan area are you in or close to? Let's have a look-see as to what's available on Craigslist there.

Rivverrat

Porthos, Im in Kansas I try an keep an eye on craiglist. But there really isn't much round here regarding reels capable of making 20 lbs. of drag & be fishable with that drag load. Oh you run into the occasional big senator but not much else.
I think I'm going to live & make do fishing my Fathom 25's with 60 until I replace them with Andros 12's. Unless some one can say with out any reservation the Fathom lever drag 30 or  40 are capable of a glass smooth drag at higher settings.   

Tiddlerbasher

I'd go with an Andros 12 or even 5 - even the small reel will hold over 300m of 60lb braid (when spooled correctly under 10lb tension). Both provide adequate drag at over 30 and 20 respectivley. I have tried to demonstrate to other fisherman that they probably can't handle massive drag. Personally I usually use 15lb drag and occasionally 20-25 - stand-up fighting with anything more is beyond me :-[

johndtuttle

Quote from: Rivverrat on May 25, 2015, 12:17:58 AM
Porthos, Im in Kansas I try an keep an eye on craiglist. But there really isn't much round here regarding reels capable of making 20 lbs. of drag & be fishable with that drag load. Oh you run into the occasional big senator but not much else.
I think I'm going to live & make do fishing my Fathom 25's with 60 until I replace them with Andros 12's. Unless some one can say with out any reservation the Fathom lever drag 30 or  40 are capable of a glass smooth drag at higher settings.   

You are not going to be happy with the Andros for this application.

No thrust bearing means you will destroy pinion bearings right and left at max drag settings. Also, the frame is too light for fishing heavy drag continuously. You will land some fish with them, just like you have with the fathoms, and then it will start getting beat up quick. It is a light, light tackle reel.

Where I would start, is with an Okuma Makaira 8 or 10.

Rivverrat

I thought the new Andros had a thrust bearing. I verified it does not