What Cal Star Rod for your Makaira 10II?

Started by rickyroz, February 03, 2011, 03:25:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickyroz

Alan, I know you have used your makaira 10 II's  with 400 yards of 65 solid spectra and a 3 foot topshot of 50 or 60# fluo. but what CAL Star rod have you matched with them? I was thinking of getting a similiar set-up or two. I need to fill in the gaps before I go on an 8 day.

alantani

i put it on the okuma nomad 3 piece travel rod.  the grafighter 800m for 40# or 800h for 50# topshots would be my guess for a calstar.  as old as i am, though, i might opt for a 7 foot fiberglass west coaster rated 20-50.  these softer sticks are alot easier on us old guys!  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

conchydong

If you are going to fish 50 & 60 lb topshots I would opt for the 700XH.

steelfish

Quote from: alantani on February 04, 2011, 04:16:45 AM
......i might opt for a 7 foot fiberglass west coaster rated 20-50.  these softer sticks are alot easier on us old guys!  alan

old school rod on a "creme de la creme" new tech reel.

nice combination

The Baja Guy

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

SoCalAngler

How do you plan on using the rod, my guess would be bait and yoyo iron right?

The heavier mono, 60 lb plus, old school glass Calstars were never built for how we fish today. They were designed around using harnesses so most of those rods are shorter. With that said a WC-665H-C being 6.5' will still fish fine today and put leverage more on your side.

Now for composite rods a GFGR-765ML is another 6.5' rod but in that lb test I would like if they made a 765MLH or M. For me I like to pull hard on 50-60 lb test so I really don't like to go over 7' in this lb test range. Something like the already mentioned GFGR-700XH or a GFGR-7400XH would make a fine rod for what your looking to do, if that is in fact bait and yoyo.

steelfish

Quote from: alantani on November 22, 2017, 05:22:56 PM
yeah, that was before phenix!
;D ;D I knew you were going to see the post  :P :P
this is an old thread and things have changed a lot since.

Quote from: SoCalAngler on November 23, 2017, 01:48:51 AM
How do you plan on using the rod, my guess would be bait and yoyo iron right?
if that was for me, then you're right bait and yoyo tadys with a phenix axis 801H cut dow to 7.6ft, but depending on the trip I might use the mak15 for ligth trolling with super seeker 6460XH for YT and groupers.

The Baja Guy