500 Stainless sleeve

Started by Rancanfish, July 01, 2015, 10:10:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rancanfish

Hey guys,

I finally got around to putting a SS gear sleeve on a stainless 3-500 bridge. It's so purty!

But the thing wont turn right with the pin in. Take the pin out and no prob.

Tried it on another bridge and it turns better but still drags in one part of the arc.

Is it the bridge shaft slot not lining up with the sleeve pin? 

Thanks if you have already done this and know a quick fix.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

STRIPER LOU

Hi, I did one of those a while back and had the same problem. The pin was rubbing on the slot. I took a small round needle file and increased the clearance ever so slightly. I had to take a whisker off the depth of the slot and then polished it with emery cloth. Just try to figure out where its rubbing first, ...... is it the depth of the slot or sides of the slot. Once you determine that it should be and easy fix. You may be able to sight it assembled without the pin up to the light and see where the clearance problem is.
Good luck,  ..  Lou

Alto Mare

The ss bridge were checked many times prior to production and all was good. I just pulled 3 sets and checked them with penn stock bridge, all good again.
When you have custom parts at time they will need a minor touch up. The hole on the sleeve is probably just a hair off, not a big deal.
Do as Lou mentioned and it should be fine. Maybe the pin itself is thicker that the original :-\
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Rancanfish

I'm just happy I was on the right page with my thinking.  That means my experience here is making me a better troubleshooter!   ;D

Now if I can fix it without a screw up I'm gold.

Thanks for the replies.  I had to go sleep off a sun induced headache.  This 100+ heat is killing me while I'm working.

fIsHsTiiCkS

Sal right its def not the bridge as the hole must be off. I have had it happen a few times even to where it is to loose and I need to shim the gear sleeve. You can do as Lou suggested or file the pin as I have done or even I tried the stock pin and sometimes that fixes the issue as well.

Keta

Use a small round file and put a chamfer in the bridge shaft groove.  Do it a little bit at a time until the pin fits.  Turn the gearsleeve and file until it turns 360° freely.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Rancanfish

I used the small file a bit at a time and it finally smoothed out.  Easy peasey.

I went back to the brass dog though as the dog spring kept slipping off the SS one.  I will just keep an eye on it and replace it if the sleeve ratchet eats it up.

Keta

I have 15-500 dogs with a spring notch but you can file one in the SS dog you have.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain