AT made me do it...Accurate Jigmaster 500

Started by Yogi_fish808, July 17, 2015, 07:57:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yogi_fish808

After idk how long of saying I'd never own an accurate modded jigmaster/penn and that my new school Fathoms leave them in the dust...I found a decent deal and jumped on the wagon. I blame it on you guys! :p

It came with nice condition black accuplates, gold accuframe, chrome/brass spool and stock internals

Being that I can't leave anything alone I took an aluminum spool from another 500 I had lying around and got a 3" handle and power knob make it a little more enjoyable to crank.

The one thing I really need to make it right for my style of fishing is the 5:1 pro challenger gears, the 4:1 just doesn't cut it(rigs get hung up on reef during retrieve while surfcasting) and probably an ss sleeve w/ ht-100 drags. Dilemma is if it's worth it to me to put probably another $100 into this reel vs just selling it and getting an avet. That said, I can see why people have a lot of love for these modded penns now. Aloha!

Bryan Young

That's one beautiful reel.

By the way, the difference in line retrieval between a 4:1 and a 5:1 at full spool is something like 8 or 9 inches per crank.  Food for though before spending extra money immediately.

What do you have on that reel now?  40# Pro Spec?  It's a pretty sweet set-up as is.

I would recommend the SS gear sleeve.  You may find it at Brian's Fishing Supply.  I think I sent him a dozen.

And if you need more than the average 15# of drag, especially when jacking up, I would recommend my drag kit.  That can be purchase at Ewa Beach Buy and Sell, Brian's Fishing Supply, and 5 Oceans 7 Seas on Oahu and Sebum Outdoor Supply on Kauai (buy the Newell 200/300/400 drag kit).

Let us know how she casts.  I haven't cast mine yet.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Tightlines667

I was just at Brian's the other day.  He still has the SS gear sleeves, but will no longer be carrying the gear sets.  Nice reel!
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Yogi_fish808

Howzit Bryan,
It is a really nice reel and feels solid. I'll probably stop by Brians this weekend for the SS sleeve. The reel casts AMAZING compared to the stock 500, even compared to my "live-spindle" Fathom 40's it's pretty good, probably touching 70ish yards (w/ 8oz and cut puhi) cause it was dark and had to be conservative with thumbing a reel i don't know yet. When I put the aluminum spool on I gave the bearings a few drops of ReelX which probably helped. It has ~100ish yards of 65lb braid backing topped with 40lb Prospec. I'd like to run 40lb Momoi diamond since it breaks at more like 70lbs and has way lower stretch but that's $60/spool!

Btw: Does your 5+1 drag kit fit in the stock gear? Shakas!

Bryan Young

That reel rocks.  70 yards with 8oz lead and cut puhi (moray eels for those who don't know) flapping in the wind is a great cast.  I'm luck to get 70 yards with only 8 oz lead while slide baiting.

Yes, my drag kit fits stock as well as aftermarket gears.  It should serve you well.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

basto

DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

redsetta

QuoteGreat looking reel. Nice work!
x2 - that's a beauty!
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

David Hall

what's down this road ?  and around the bend, just beyond.........Penn Station.
It's a world of stainless steel parts and custom aluminum frames and plates,  powered by helical cut gears slowed by inserts with ears and  levered with a cornucopia,  or a plethora if you prefer of shark shaped and replicated penn or Keta kranks, satin or polished its your choice to make.  No fear of failure it's been tested with bricks and dragged in a wagon, buckets of bricks have been lifted and heavy rods bent.  it's deep rabbit hole friend. 
time and money well spent.

Tightlines667

Quote from: David Hall on July 28, 2015, 08:03:34 PM
It's a world of stainless steel parts and custom aluminum frames and plates,  powered by helical cut gears slowed by inserts with ears and  levered with a cornucopia,  or a plethora if you prefer of shark shaped and replicated penn or Keta kranks, satin or polished its your choice to make.  No fear of failure it's been tested with bricks and dragged in a wagon, buckets of bricks have been lifted and heavy rods bent.  it's deep rabbit hole friend. 

Quite poetic indeed :)
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

broschro

Big Tim

Quote from: David Hall on July 28, 2015, 08:03:34 PM

;D ;D ;D Most Excellent Dude...Most definitely the upgrade to Bryan's drags, DD bridge, SS gear sleeve.. Gen II. This reel will last a lifetime, very nice reel  ;D

alantani

glad you put the plastic tubing over the freespool lever.  most people miss that!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Yogi_fish808

Lol yeah, I'm quickly finding how dangerous...err easy it is to click the purchase button for all these stainless goodies available for this reel. So far I added an SS sleeve, Bryan's 5+1 stack and Global Tackle 5:1 ss gear set. On the way I've got SS socket screws and pro-challenger bridge,jack and yoke set(package A for $29.99 seems like a heck of a deal)...tempting to get a 2.5" ss star too :p

Yogi_fish808

Lost self control and picked up a few more bits. I can see why cost really stops mattering after a while and building these reels just becomes an on-going project. Recent additions are SS bridge/double dogs, SS sockethead screws all around and the red 50th Anniversary spool. My old alum. spools spindle must've been slightly bent or rough because the freespool w/ this one is much better. Also learned my lesson about those cheap 5:1 gears from ebay...should've just dropped the extra coin for the legit BP items, will get those sometime in the future.

Alto Mare

Nice reel, I like the color combination. Enjoy it!
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.