80 Int

Started by thorhammer, October 06, 2015, 11:49:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thorhammer

Acquired a functional, but let's say well-fished 80. Questions:

1)  Will 80T tube frame fit this?

2) Possibly will send to Reel Colors for restoration of anodizing. Anyone have an idea as to cost?

No point in dropping $400 bucks extra; I could've just bought a new VSX.

Tightlines667

According to Mystic..

https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/183-80T.aspx

80T frame is not a direct drop in replacement, since the hole pattern is different...also they cost $183.  You may want to call MysticParts or Tony at Penn to confirm though.  If the width is correct, and there is enough space it may be possible to modify the frame to fit, though I doubt it.  Tiburon may he another option.

I don't know the cost of anodizing, but suspect immediately that it would be cost-prohibitive.  

I have restored a number of 80 and 80s reels for customers to excellent mechanical (not cosmetic) condition.  It can get pricy.  Most of these reels require new bellevilles, 4 bearings, recommended upgrading of asbestos donut drag to dura drag, and new clicker ratchet and pawl (no longer available).  The reel stands are the weak point on these reels(no longer avail), so ensure yours us not cracked where it mounts b4 proceeding.  

You are probably looking at $180-$300 to do a proper service/upgrade w/o frame, spool, or plates.  Still a very capable reel after servicing though.  There are tutorials here that will guide you through the process, and if you run into any trouble...just ask.  

Another option is to send it to one of us and we can service it for you (I charge $50+parts+shipping), or I believe you could send it to Call and have him ' blueprint' and/or do a 2 speed conversion for you.  He has aftermarket stands available as well.  Here is his price list...

http://www.cals2speed.com/price_list.html

You may find that your local anodizing shop is cheaper then ReelColors, but may want to check around.  Anyway you cut it, it will likely be more cost effective to start with a framed model.  

I'd pull it apart for a service first though to see what your dealing with b4 deciding on a further course of action.

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

thorhammer

Thanks folks, you have confirmed what I expected.

This reel will never be a shelf queen; it is to be a meat reel for pulling big planers and high speed lures for wahoo on 200 lb braid. For sure I will change the drag plate and probably the stand as you reminded me it's a weak point (my others are all "T"'s), and this reel will see some heavy drag. As I also still have to build another rod with oversized rollers to accomodate the planer bridle, that's probably the extent of what I'll do to this reel and keep the total under $350 for the reel... not terrible for a functional 80.

I have decided that a small label to remind me of the backing / braid / shock test setup placed over the dude's name on the sideplate will be a functional and cheaper alteranative than remachining and anodizing lol....