Early Automatic Reels

Started by Tightlines667, January 16, 2016, 02:44:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tightlines667

How about an early Martin Automatic No. 02...

To quote Mr. Phil White...

"In general, automatic reels are to reel collectors like metal baits are to lure collectors.  Few collectors really like them or appreciate their place in angling history.  Most collectors immediately assumed that automatic reels are and always have been intended to be fly reels.  The fact of the matter is... they were originally intended to be general purpose reels that one could use for bait or fly fishing or trolling."  

Martin, the longest continually operating fishing reel company in the United States has always held a special place in my heart... well ever since I bought my first Martin and introduced it to a steelhead.  This company has a rich, distinctly American history, and lays claim to being one of the first to figure out, and patent, how to retrieve line 'automatically'.  I figure what better way to represent the company in my fishing reel collection, then an early Martin Automatic reel.  

This particular find was purchased primarily for the box, and the paperwork.  Unfortunately, the reel is incorrect for this early box, and will need to be updated to make this a correct/complete package.  This reel is from the 1921-1932 period.  The box is much rarer, and is from the 1909-1920ish period.  It should have a black or aluminum reel with a different reel mechanism, and stamped "Ilion, New York" not "Mohawk, NY".  Hopefully I can locate the correct reel.

Also, I need to get it a neighbor... the most refined early automatic reel (IMHO), an early Meisselbach 1912.

Please feel free to share any personal reels, opinions, or information regarding this underappreciated fishing reel genre.

Here is what the correct reel would look like (taken from the ORCA site)...

Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Tightlines667

Curiously, mine has the correct trigger mech for an Ilion reel, but the stamping and knurling suggest a Mohawk manufactured reel.  This may have been one of the earliest Mohawk reels (ca. 1921), and may actually have been sold packaged an older Illion box.  The paperwork, and catalogs also suggest the later 1920s model.

Here is the 1902 patent which applies to the pre1921 reel..

https://www.google.com/patents/US742260?dq=Martin+Automatic+Reel&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjJjJnzsK3KAhVKzWMKHZ_xA8gQ6AEIMDAD

and here is the 1921 patent...

https://www.google.com/patents/US1469845?dq=Martin+Automatic+Reel&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjJjJnzsK3KAhVKzWMKHZ_xA8gQ6AEIKTAC
Hope springs eternal

sdlehr

Sheesh, it looks more like something you'd cook with while camping than a reel.....

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

MarkT

True, looks more like a mess kit than a reel!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Tightlines667

Bear in mind this little reel was designed to fight Brooke Trout...
"...gamy fish that run back and forth too quickly to retrieve in time"  - Louis Rhoads

:)

It is designed to mount horizontally and hang under the rod.
Hope springs eternal

Penn Chronology

John,

Automatics are an interesting breed of reel. Being that I am not much of a freshwater guy, the automatic fly reels kind of get by me; but, I did have a Pflueger Autopla in my collection for awhile. Sold it off a few years ago buy still have some of the old pictures of it.

When you first look at it, you think it is a Knuckle Buster; but, it is not. To release line or cast, you put it into free spool. When you engage the free spool lever, you are basically engaging the massive flat, watch type spring that is wound and fills the entire tail plate.

When you have a large fish on that is strong enough to run with your line, that fish begins loading the spring. The spring is fighting the fish. If the fish turn to come back at you, push the button on the tail plate and a release mechanism in the tail plate allows the spring to uncoil and start taking back the line. It works; but, it is very weird. I never fished with it.

The Autopla was a quick take apart using a thumb screw at the 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock position. Fun collectible; but a strange reel with a broken production history. It was made approximately from 1932 to 1934 and then brought back again in 1939 staying into production into the 1950. The one pictured here is from the 1949. Later models had torpedo handle and the early 1930 models had a hard rubber trimmed head plate. The later models had a sandwiched head plate with a plastic insert and a pure Kopf Clutch gear train.

Interesting collectible. Not so easy to find; but, not rare.

The Great Maudu

John I like the old automatic fly reels. I grew up using a Shakespeare auto fly reel. I'm familiar with some of the Martin's but have never seen the Meisselbach variety which you referenced. Do you have any pics to post of one? Also, in the early 1900's what kind of fly rods were they using?

foakes

I have a case or two of those old soldiers -- all different brands -- most of them worked fairly well to retrieve slack line.

But for me, it is just one more thing to think about when fishing.

I drive a standard transmission vehicle, and would even prefer crank windows -- but they are not available with my choice of vehicles.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.