steelhead_killer

So i built a 501, a 99, a 1/0, now a Squidder 146:

I have a stock 146 with an aluminum spool
I ordered a Tiburon frame from Randy in silver
I am seriously considering a pair of Accurate plates from Randy in Red
New knob from Pro Challenger small EVA
New Carbon drags
Bearings seem fine
Left side bearing cup is a real bugger to get off and put back.  Required a special tool...don't yell at me...vice grips!  Yes I had to resort to a small pair vice grips.  I just could not get it off or back in without them.  Thinking of buying a new one but the description at Scotts said the new ones are tight and would require, pliers to put in??? 

From what I have read and been told, there is no faster gears, it would be nice to have steel gears, if any one has any???

What am I missing?

Thanks!

Andy
><)))">

PacRat

When you get that steel gear, mate it up with Bryan's drag stack and you will have one hell of a little Squidder. I just did this last week. The gear is really common, (I think mine was out of a Surfmaster). In my opinion the lower gears are more desirable in a Squidder anyway and Bryan's drag with the Tib frame will give it balls.
-Mike

steelhead_killer

I will look on line for the surfcaster gear, forgot about that one...
><)))">

Black Pearl

Well, I will let the cat out of the bag.

I have talked to Sal for awhile now. I have added the following item to my next project after the 113HSN is done, my resource will work on a Squidder that will use all Jigmaster 500 all parts in the right side plate with a one piece frame with the left side plate. This project will start around July.

There you go!

steelhead_killer

><)))">

Alto Mare

I wanted to tell you guys for some time, but Alan told me not to.
I wanted the Squidder Magnum before the 4/0 Super Narrow, but Alan said he had lots of inquiries about the 4/0 so he chose that one first.
We started talking about the Squidder Magnum over a years ago, I'm glad he's going forward with it.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

steelhead_killer

I don't know how you guys keep these secret projects secret!  Is there a blood oath?  Is there a special meeting in the cellar of some old chateau, sipping adult beverages, exchanging special handshakes? 
><)))">

PacRat

Alan,
How wide are you planning to make this top-secret Squidder?
-Mike

Black Pearl

Quote from: PacRat on February 11, 2016, 02:18:56 AM
Alan,
How wide are you planning to make this top-secret Squidder?
-Mike

It will be same as the 146.

David Hall

Quote from: steelhead_killer on February 11, 2016, 01:19:07 AM
I don't know how you guys keep these secret projects secret!  Is there a blood oath?  Is there a special meeting in the cellar of some old chateau, sipping adult beverages, exchanging special handshakes? 

Once a year they all get together in the cellar of Chateau Rothschild in France and crack a few and talk reels.
I never been invited but this is what I heard, from a guy who knows a guy the used to fish.

MarkT

I have a magnum Squidder like that but it says Pro Gear 255 on it. Ya know, one piece frame, all Jigmaster guts in the right sideplate and the size of a 146. Of course my old 146 had a cool purple frame and the 255 is all gunmetal. I have an extra 255 spool and I have a 251 frame and spool too so I can swap between them in about 15 seconds.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

jurelometer

Quote from: Black Pearl on February 10, 2016, 11:38:58 PM
Well, I will let the cat out of the bag.

I have talked to Sal for awhile now. I have added the following item to my next project after the 113HSN is done, my resource will work on a Squidder that will use all Jigmaster 500 all parts in the right side plate with a one piece frame with the left side plate. This project will start around July.

There you go!

Good!

If I could make a request that you make extra spools and publish the dimensions for the spool/spindle.

From my earlier post on the "Squidmaster" and "open design".

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=16802.msg175873#msg175873

Specific to the classic Penn star drag designs:  The AR ratchet teeth, actually fit inside the spool lip.   If you move the gears further apart, you also have to change the spool spindle, so that the ratchet teeth are no longer inside the spool lip, but actually past the end of the spool. This is accomplished by moving the bridge about .2 inches further out from the center of the spool (this would also be the width of an adapter plate that would allow you to use a jigmaster right sideplate and gear set with a squidder frame.)

I suspect that this is what the Accurate Magnum kits probably do (with the adapter plate and sideplate combined into one part).   Others  have also taken this design approach (Pro Gear, Newell), but using more proprietary parts.

To carry this to its logical conclusion:  

With all the parts the members have made, we could actually make as complete reel that would be the modernized competitor of a squidder magnum, and a very nice reel for modern spectra and mono lines.   Replacement parts would be widely available from Penn and aftermarket suppliers.  The only thing missing is a standard sized  spool with a slightly modified spindle, and an adapter plate that would allow a jigmaster right sideplate to bolt onto a squidder frame.  Of course, a new sideplate that did not need an adapter could also be made, or even a complete reel kit.    

I have brought this idea up with several of the usual suspects.    My hope would be that if someone decides to make spools or full kits, we can publish the spool/spindle dimensions, so that parts from various members or outside suppliers could work together.    

If folks are interested, I could start a new thread on an "open design"  (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_design) reel that would be based on a squidder frame and spool size, with jigmaster compatible gears/parts).  IMHO this could be a better reel than other star drags on the market (right size, competitive performance, proven design, and widely available parts).

-Jurelometer

Thanks!! Really informative  8)

Marc..

You're welcome.

Of course I realized that I just made a slight mistake :-[ : On a stock reel - the entire bridge plate fits inside the spool lip.  so the spindle has to be extended so that a wider bridge plate clears the spool. 

Alto Mare

Hello Dave, I remember having a few conversations with you on this project over a year ago, are you still interested on making the plates? Your second idea on material choice was a good one.
I also remember you were not interested in quantity, but maybe just one that will work will do.
This project is easier said than done, but I believe it will happen.
Alan wants to be able to use his Jigmaster's guts, bridge, gears and everything else to make it a direct swap...we'll see.
No matter how hard this project will be, I'm sure it will be well worth it.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

jurelometer

Hi Sal,

There are lots of other nice aluminum star drag reels around this size (and probably price range).   The advantage to building off the squidder and jigmaster platforms is the potential for longer term availability of parts, and customization options for specific preferences.   But this only works if the parts are standardized as much a possible.   Using the jigmaster bridge plate/gears, etc.  is a good start, but with a tiny bit more forethought, we can have a more valuable platform  that shouldn't get in the way of Alan or others making a really nice full kit.

All we  need is a a squidmaster spool/spindle specification that basically says-

1.  spool diameter/ length/lip dimensions compatible with equivalent squidder model

2. Left side compatible with squidder  left side plate  (depth, bearing cup/clicker etc.)

3.  Right side compatible with jigmaster (500 or 505?) sideplate (including trim rings -same as an accurate or cortez sideplate).

The final test would be to make an extension plate/adapter that would attach the jigmaster right  sideplate to the squidder frame  (basically a flat ring that has squidder hole pattern on one side, and jigmaster pattern on the other), and attach a squidder left sideplate to the other.  The plate has  to be wide enough to let the jigmaster bridge clear the squidder sized spool lip.  Now there would be a working reel -a testable prototype of the concept.    A  good way to test the spool and the whole concept before building the rest of the kit IMHO.

Others could build  their own parts spools, kits, off of this design/platfrom.

I think this makes the initial project more valuable, but then again, I am not the one doing all the work :)   I am sure we will be happy with whatever Alan decides to do.

As for me,

I have moved on to some different reel designs.   Don't know where it is going to take me yet.    Right now the CNC mill is broken, so I am just designing/cutting Aluminum jig head molds on a CNC router.  Trying to learn something about 3d machining and mold making.

Alto Mare

Dave, it's nice that you're doing some jig head molds, but a man as you shouldn't be with a broken CNC machine for very long. :-\