180 gets a little attention

Started by thorhammer, March 02, 2016, 04:03:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thorhammer

One of the nice little reels that gets unjustly overlooked IMO, the 180 is a quite capable entry level reel. I've owned several and gave all but two away as gifts. I've been thinking about the pair lately as they haven't gotten much attention in a decade. To me the main drawback to the reel is it's tiny toy handle, which I had already replaced. My man Sal has since hooked me up with a 24-155 in my favorite vintage color: the orange amber. The little guy cleaned up nicely; no need for any hotrodding, just a good cleaning and proper lube. Very pleased with free spool and turn in gear; you wouldn't know this was probably 50 years old or more (lighthouse plates but I switched to brass spool on this one). Went old school Stren 17 lb on this one....you will see why in a week or so. Enjoy.

foakes

Beautiful job, John.

These are nice, somewhat overlooked reels -- like many of the old Penns.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

thorhammer

Thanks Fred! Btw those are the color handles I'm after; in any configuration that fits that size sleeve.  Would live to score some power handles or 24-66, 24-49. 

John

sdlehr

Nice job on that reel, John. Looking forward to your fishing report in a week or two.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

mo65

Quote from: thorhammer on March 02, 2016, 04:03:05 PM
Went old school Stren 17 lb on this one....you will see why in a week or so. Enjoy.

I was wondering how the 17lb. fished...I have a 180 with chromed brass spool and the gap is so big it even catches 20lb. mono! It's odd...widest spool gap of all my Penns.
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

thorhammer

No report yet; I'm way behind on the matching rod due to work but will let you know.

John

bluefish69

The 180 was my first Penn about 60 yrs. old now

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Alto Mare

Quote from: mo65 on June 13, 2016, 11:09:14 PM
Went old school Stren 17 lb on this one....you will see why in a week or so. Enjoy.

I was wondering how the 17lb. fished...I have a 180 with chromed brass spool and the gap is so big it even catches 20lb. mono! It's odd...widest spool gap of all my Penns.

nice job John, I have a few of those and enjoy fishing them. I also gave a couple to members here as gifts... nice little reels.

Mo65, get yourself a 30-49 stand and a 29-100L spool and watch that gap get smaller.

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

akadashoe

Totally agree guys.
This was also my first reel my buddy gave me back in 1970 something.
He also showed me how to rebuild it, and that was it, I was hooked.
I used to use the stock plastic spool, but cracked it while fighting a 14 lb. flattie, so I went with the chrome spool.
Cut down on the casting ability a little, so I opted for the rare aluminum spool.
I also upgraded from the teeny double-knob handle to this lemon 24-155.
My son drools every time I break it out, so I told him it's his when I croak.    ;D

mo65

Quote from: Alto Mare on June 14, 2016, 02:32:19 AM
Mo65, get yourself a 30-49 stand and a 29-100L spool and watch that gap get smaller.

I tried a 29L-100 from my Surfmaster, and sure enough that gap vanished! Thanks Sal.  8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Dominick

Quote from: Alto Mare on June 14, 2016, 02:32:19 AM

nice job John, I have a few of those and enjoy fishing them. I also gave a couple to members here as gifts... nice little reels.

I'm one of the recipient members.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.