Penn Master Mariner 349H Right Side Bearing Issue & Drag Upgrade

Started by Togue, June 28, 2016, 08:42:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Togue

I have been fortunate to learn a great deal on reel maintenance from this site's users and Alan Tani's excellent tips for more than 10 years now but this is my first post.

Recently got my hands on a pair of 349H's. Been wanting them for bottom fishing. My dad always used these for saltwater and the lighter Super Mariner 49's for freshwater trolling. Really clean, all original parts including factory drag.

One of the 349's has an issue with the right side bearing. The spool looks good no sign of wear on the spindle. The R S bearing allows too much travel to the right and causes interference with the pinion gear in free spool. Otherwise spins well. I don't see any wear on the R S bearing but could be the previous owner cranked the left side adjustment down too tight?  If I swap R S bearings between reels the good 349 still spins smoothly and the trouble 349 interference reduces from serious clanking to barely noticeable tap. Maybe just a tolerance stack up issue?

I'd like to fix this right. Checked everywhere for a replacement 26-349 Right Side Bearing. No joy. Even my go to Scott's B&T is out if stock. Can I just increase the thrust bearing spacing on the R S bearing by adding a small washer to the spool shaft?

Also looking to upgrade the factory 3-stack drag. Options are 3-stack smoothies or Dawn's 5+1 Carbontex upgrade but that's much pricier than smoothies. I've had great luck with smoothies on a pair of 113H's I upgraded to JVARIANCE frames plus stainless gears, bridge sleeves and yokes. Is the Carbontex really worth it?

Any advice of tips on this topic are appreciated.

spc7669

I have put carbontex washers from Dawn in all of my conventional reels and in several reels for my buddies. IMHO, they are absolutely worth it. It's the first thing I do to any reel I get to work on.

Keta

The 5 washer sets is far superior to the old 3 washer set.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Togue

I have to say the Carbontex washers have worked well on other reels.

No suggestions on the R.H. bearing?

Keta

Parts for 349/349H reels are made out of "unobtanium" and are extremely hard to find.  In the past I have bought reels for parts, I have 15 of them for parts to keep 3 reels working and make the metal 5 washer sets Smooth Drag sells.  If it was not a 349/349H part I would give you them but I use 349H reels and need all of what I have.  It will be like taking a mouse from a cat to get me to part with any stock 349 parts, sorry normally it  is not my nature to be stingy.  If I find any I will point you in the right direction.  I do make SS 15-349 AR dogs and a 113H gear sleeve will work on your 349, not the same but it works.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

theswimmer

Sounds like maybe it was dropped.
The side plates on a 349h are very fragile , maybe a small crack you can't see from the outside.
I found a set of plates on  fleebay a year ago but normally what Lee said, unobtainium......
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

Togue

Thanks for the replies!

Keta - good to know about the drag washers, I wondered about that from some of your earlier posts. Tinkering with this old gear and making it functional is a big part of the fun for me. I do fish and not collect, so I get it regarding unobtainium and need for a boneyard to gets parts.

I don't think it was dropped. Parts are very clean (old oil aside). No damage. Hardly used. Might have come from an estate sale. Real reel score.

I had very little time for deep dive to debug. Swapping RH bearings between the two 349's did completely fix the issue so I'm thinking it is tolerance stack up issue. This weekend I'll do a full tear down and will measure the shafts and RH bearing fit compared between the two 349's. Might just take a little adjustment (dremel or file).

These 349's are built like a battle tank. Really appreciate the good ole American engineering. In the future I'll be looking for what is out there for upgrades. Hint hint - let's see what Keta and others come up with.