112H senator aluminium spool different than normally found.

Started by steelfish, August 17, 2016, 12:49:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelfish

few weeks back I was doing a complete and deep service to a 112H senator that was given to me as a gift, it was throw away on a forgotten tool box with lots of missing parts, I ordered them and completed the reel.

well, this is the aluminium spool that this reel has, kind of weird if you ask me, I havent seen any other spool like this one before
check it out

its in two parts, should I keep the drag on light setting or it will be good to fish 30# mono line on 10-12# drag?
it feels really sturdy if you ask me

in order to avoid problems when using braid line, I plan on using 40# mono line as backing then 150yds of 65# braid and top it with 30# mono, and using it only for inshore fishing.

by the way, the reel is using the next Keta parts

two SS dogs (double dogged )
Octagon insert on the main gear

The Baja Guy

Alto Mare

Alex, that spool looks pretty neat to me and it appears to be a Newell. Check on the side, there might be the letters CN.
Very nice.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

mhc

Quote from: Alto Mare on August 17, 2016, 12:53:59 AM
Alex, that spool looks pretty neat to me and it appears to be a Newell. Check on the side, there might be the letters CN.
Very nice.
I think Sal is correct, I have one that looks the same - it's a 2 7/16" wide "tuna special" from Randy Pauly. Here's what Randy said about it;

"It has the original style Newell spool which was staked with two pins through the hub.  There is a slight gap between the two halves of the spool, but this is common with those spools and I have never seen one spread.  I have included a pair of Newell aluminum Tuna Special cross bars which give the reel frame added rigidity......"

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

MarkT

When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

steelfish

well after what Mike posted about the spool, pretty much its sure its newell, doing a close up with the original pics I found the "CN" letters on a side of the spool  that Sal pointed out, so, Newell spool it is.

thanks guys, I feel more comfortable using it now

The Baja Guy

reel man

What you have is a very early Newell aluminum spool for the Penn conversion kits.  They had two drift pins pressed thru the arbor to keep the spool halves from spinning on the spool shaft.

steelfish

Quote from: reel man on August 17, 2016, 06:44:18 AM
What you have is a very early ...

Everything that is "Very Early" and its still on use, is good in my book.

I Will keep this reel and spool under my personnal collectible reels, but since I have many inshore reels, this one might see no much regular action, but I will try to use it from time to time.

The Baja Guy