Main Menu

Fish collars

Started by Bill B, September 01, 2016, 10:32:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill B

I've heard discussion of tuna collars, yet collars, etc....what is the draw to the fish collars....have I been dumping something tasty  ???......inquiring minds need to know....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

swill88

Most good Japanese restaurants prepare a cooked hamachi collar (yellowtail).

Delicious n succulent.

Steve

Steve-O

Re-read the posts in this thread. I had no clue before I was enlightened....now?.... helping spread the good word.
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=18889.0

Like philaroman said- it's sacrilege to throw them out.

It's the meat right behind the collar bone and those delicious medallions of muscle that operate the pectoral fin.

Compare it to some parts of a turkey that you want to eat before serving the bird & everyone else wants the turkey breast.

El Pescador

http://honest-food.net/2012/07/24/salmon-collar-recipe/

Quality Fish meat not easily accessible - thus the allure & flavor!

Seriously, you enjoy the above recipe, YOU'LL never AGAIN throw overboard the heads or backbones.

Mark my words,

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

Dominick

Quote from: El Pescador on September 01, 2016, 11:17:03 PM

http://honest-food.net/2012/07/24/salmon-collar-recipe/

Quality Fish meat not easily accessible - thus the allure & flavor!

Seriously, you enjoy the above recipe, YOU'LL never AGAIN throw overboard the heads or backbones.

Mark my words,

Wayne
Consider your words marked and written down.  Permanent ink too.   :D Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

thorhammer

Annotate grouper and striper cheeks thusly.   

conchydong

Since we don't have Yellowtail (California) or Salmon in Florida, I use Grouper, Tilefish, Almaco Jack, Amberjack or large Rainbow Runners to make (fill in the blank) Kama. It is a great way to utilize a under appreciated section of the fish. I have a Asian style BBQ grill that I cook them on 'till crispy and they are great.

Bill B

Thanks guys, I will be keeping collars from now on, along side the scrapings from the salmon spine after filleting....and Wayne that recipe will be one I add to my book.....bill

ChileRelleno

Down here collars, or throats as they're called down here, are held in high regard by those in the know.
Red & Black drum, Snapper, Grouper and many others are prime.
And most people throw them away  :o
Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

day0ne

David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

smnaguwa

Darn, now it will be harder to get the free collars. As for the above recipe, bottles of ponzu sauce are available at Asian food markets .

Bill B

Hey, if I catch a fish in muddy water, would it have "ring around the collar"..... ::)

Dominick

Quote from: TARFU on September 02, 2016, 10:55:26 PM
Hey, if I catch a fish in muddy water, would it have "ring around the collar"..... ::)
;D ;D ;D ;D Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

David Hall

Can't tell you how,any collars and spines I wasted until about 10 years ago when I learned how tasty the collar meat is.  We also started eating a lot of raw fish then and I began using a spoon to scrape the spine and rib cage down for a tasty dish, I like to smoke the collars and eat the spine meat raw.  I still don't use the heads but my sons mother in law enjoys them so she gets them all, nothing goes to waste anymore.

Big Tim

You won't be disappointed...Many recipes out there for collars.

BT

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=15229.0