Penn 99 bridge gear sleeve post

Started by mhc, December 09, 2016, 12:57:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mhc

I've got a 3-99 bridge I was hoping to put a stainless sleeve on but the sleeve post is too narrow. Does anyone know if the 3-99 posts are all the same or were some the same diameter as the 3-500, 3-66 etc posts? I'm sure it's been discussed but I can't seem to find it.
Thanks
Mike 
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

RowdyW

I think you might need a 155 sleeve. The Penn parts list says it takes a 98-60 sleeve but some older ones might be different.       Rudy

mo65

Some of the older bridges have a more narrow post that just won't work with a modern ss sleeve. I'm not sure about the 99 bridge, but some models that had long life spans can be easily changed to a newer bridge. And you're right...this has been discussed many times...but info is spread all over...and most of it buried. This subject would be a great candidate for a "sticky" thread. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

PacRat

You are correct. Some 3-99 bridges have a small sleeve post. Cheaper to buy a newer bridge, just make sure it has the larger post.
-Mike

mhc

Thanks guys, I wanted to make sure there was 2 types before I buy another one to put a stainless sleeve on.
Thanks for the photos Mike, the one I've got is somewhere between the two you're showing - it's a numbered chrome bridge with a small diameter post.
Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Shark Hunter

I have run into this issue several times on older penns.
Anything from a 9/0 to a 155.
The dead give away is that felt washer and the cut out in the sleeve for it.
They have all had that feature.

Life is Good!