JX6.0:1 won't freespool after clean and oiling

Started by captbruce, January 07, 2017, 04:45:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

any chance the pinion gear is installed incorrectly/backwards?

tight lines!

SoCalAngler

Check the belleville washers first if you did take the spool off the shaft, these washers are on the spools shaft not on the lever side.

As far as the "bait setting" on Avet reels you need to apply enough drag at strike to get this to work. If you want to use this setting you need to set your drag around 7-8 lbs at strike. This will give you enough drag pressure where the drag will start to work when you have the reel set on the bait setting.

I don't know what lb test you use on your MX reel but you should really not set the drag over around 10 lbs at strike (on the MX I'd probably go a little lighter say 7-8 lbs). Thats why these reels are good to fish up to 30 lb test. I use my JX for 40 lb test topshots and set my reel at 9-10 lbs of drag at strike. This way if I need or want more drag I can move the lever past the strike setting for more drag but be careful if you do this because if you move the lever all the way to full you will be over the 33% of the lines breaking strength.

With Avet and most other LD reels I set my drag around 1/3 of the lines breaking strength at strike. This way if I need more drag I can move the lever past strike for increased pressure but on most reels when you go past strike the drag ramps up very quickly so be careful. If I want less drag I don't push the lever all the way to strike. Setting up my ld reels this way I know where the 1/3rd of my lines breaking strength is set on the reel.

SoCalAngler

Tightlines667

The spool should shift to the left when moving to freespool.  

Both reels sound like they need to have the spacong along the shafts adjusted.

First place to look is the Belleville stack.  Modifying from the stock configurations can require shimming to maintain spacing.  I would decrease the stack height on the first reel, and increase it on the second.  These reels have tight tollerances, and a 0.2-0.4mm change here is significant.  Bellevilles arranged ()() take up much more space then those arranged (()).  You can order shims (i.e. thrust washers), and new Bellevilles from Avet.  Tue final tuning if the reel can require dissasembling/reassembling the reel multiple times.  Also make sure you bearings (especially the pinion bearing are clean, properly lubed, and show no signs of roughness when you apply a side load and turn it.  Replace any that have felt roughness when cleaned.  The drag washers also should be ckeaned with brwak cleaner, rubbed with a clean cloth, lubed with Cal's, and wiped clean during the service.

Also make sure the spool shadt is straight and has no burrs.  It should move freely through all of the bearings/parts it passes through.

Keep us posted on your progress.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

captbruce

All good stuff.
Thanks.

I did change the Bellevue stack, thinking I'd get more drag.
I will change it back to original.
I didn't think about the tolerances.

I have 40# Power Pro, on the JX and 30# PP on the MXL.

I will try to check inside, on both reels, but I am really pressed for time.
I am leaving this weekend, for Key West but I will bring these two reels with me if I can't get them fixed before I leave, I will do it in KW.

I love the reels,
I worked on a MXL6/3 (I think that's the correct)
And I got it to free spool for almost 2 minutes, just by Holding the reel on the edge of the bench and spinning the handle by hand and chopping the reel out of gear and timing it with my watch.
I was AMAZED !! It wouldn't stop spinning...
I thought maybe I could go back in the kitchen and pour a cup of coffee and it would still be spinning when I returned.
I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me.
Of course that much free spool in the wrong hands can spell disaster also.
I have some pictures of "back lashes" that ultimately had to be taken off the reel with the help of a razor.
I tell the customer when THEY di it it's a "Back-Lash"... when I do it it's a "Professional Over-Run"...

Thanks, again guys.
I look forward to seeing the post, when I check my email.

captbruce

"Hang-Up and FISH" !!

SoCalAngler

Capt,

Since you did change the belleville washer stack I'm 99.9% sure when you change it back all will be well.

When I went to the South Florida cam in my JX I was trying to lessen the drag ramp up when moving the lever past strike toward full. The ramp up before strike with the new cam was gradual and smoother than the stock cam but when I moved the lever past strike I got 40% ramp up of drag. With the stock cam it was only 20%. I must of changed the belleville stack 15 different ways between the two different cams trying to smooth this out with no luck. That is why I went back to the stock cam, the 20% ramp up I can live with but 40% is way too much IMO. Changing the stack really did nothing but give me headaches until I went back to the stock config.

I don't know what you will be targeting on your trip but I have caught many sailfish, marlin, dorado and tuna with my JX drag setup the way I stated earlier. The pic in my Avatar is of a 75 lb grade bluefin caught on the JX from a anchored boat and the reel handled the fish fine. During the battle not once did I need to push the lever past the strike setting for more drag.

Edit: On my JX I run around 300 yards of 60 lb braid and fill the rest of the spool with 40 lb mono. I think I have around 75 yards on mono on top but not sure. I hate casting braid and as you know over runs can be a issue with Avets. If I happen to get a backlash it is in the mono or if I need to cut some of the mono out do to fish rub or boat rub I still have plenty on mono left. This way I can cut out many yards before I need to change toppers.

Good luck on your trip.

captbruce

OK !! I'm back ib Key West.
I got here Sat morning and had no "Inter-Web", but I did have TV so I could watch the NFL Play-Off's.
but while I was sitting around I took both reel apart and BOTH of them had the Bellevue stack all messed-up.
And I don't even drink anymore !! and have no one to blame but myself !!

Anyway...
The both free spool nicely, but at the preset I like there is not much difference between FREE and BAIT, but thank goodness it has an sturdy clicker.

If I go up one more click on the preset, it has a better BAIT setting but the STRIKE drag is Way too much, for me and the FULL is really to tight for most of my clients.

I don't know if I mentioned that the Avet's (or any reels with braided line) are not my day to day choices and are reserved for me and a few select customers.
I am not a big fan of Braided line, for a few reasons...
Don't get me wrong BRAID is fantastic, for a certain niche, of fishing.
But for day-in, day-out I use Ande Monofilament, and a medium taper rod, for the most part, for my customers.

Thanks to you guys, for being there when I needed you.
Keep up the good work and have a Great 2017 !!

captbruce
"Hang-Up and FISH" !!

FatTuna

Those Avet's have a pretty steep cam on them. Once you get to a certain point, the drag jumps up.

Nothing wrong with mono, less headaches and easier to spool. If I ran a charter, I'd probably want to move away from braid too.