JX6.0:1 won't freespool after clean and oiling

Started by captbruce, January 07, 2017, 04:45:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

captbruce

Hello,
I wish everyone a great 2017 !!

It's been awhile, since I was on the forum last.
All my Shimano and Avet's seem to be holding up OK

No big problems...
but after I cleaned this JX6.0:1, I can't get it to freespool correctly.
I've had this same issue before with another reel about it being free'er in BAIT then FREE.

I've tried to change the lever to the three positions but it just won't work right.

Any help ??

captbruce
I've been a Key West fishing guide for 40 years.
"Hang-Up and FISH" !!

alantani

i had one reel that stumped me for months.  it turned out that there was corrosion under the "glued on" drag washer that lifted up the carbon fiber so it always rubbed against the pressure plate.  you may have to check under the washer.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

FatTuna

Any chance the belleville washers are in a different configuration? Sounds like it could be a spacing issue.

FatTuna

I just read the part about it being freer with the lever engaged. Check out the schematic and make sure all of the parts are in the correct order that go under the preset knob. Check to see if the lever, cam, and sideplate are seated.

captbruce

Thanks, guys,
After fumbling with the preset and the lever for an hour, with no help, I figured I'd have to take the reel apart again.
No Big Deal...

Great Reel. It has caught ALOT of fish.

I'll check closer for corrosion under the fixed drag washer and the bellevue arrangement, if I remember... there are a few options, as to how they can be installed, I used Avets schematic (())((  Although I do remember seeing (on this site) other arrangement that adds slightly more drag ??!!
but there is a chance I did put it back wrong.

I'll do it today.

Thanks, again, and keep up the good work.

captbruce

"Hang-Up and FISH" !!

Keta

Did you loose the shim washers that go between the spring and the bearings in the spool and brake plate?
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

josa1

Here is a tutorial on the JX 6:1 reel, take a look at it and see if there's any differences from your reel.

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=9313.0

josa1

captbruce

Wow...
That was a great tutorial on the MX.
Thanks for sending the link.

I must be doing something wrong on the re-assembly cause I have another MXL6,
that is free'er in the BAIT setting than it is in the FREE setting.

My problem is... I have to get ready to go back to Key West to fish the 2017 Season, and these reels must be packed, for the trip.
Each Summer when I come to my Sebastian, Fl. home, I clean and oil about 20 reels that I used the previous season.

Most are Shimano Trinidad, Torium and a few Calcutta. I still used the a few Bantam Mag SG's from the 1980's. I have a collection of 30-40 old Bantam reels in a box just to keep 5 or so working. every year. they are a great reel for ladies or kid's.

With bearings to replace the old bushings and the Smooooth Drags (Carbontek) they are work Horse for the 15# test "Plug Division", where the reel can't hold more then 250 yards of 15# with a levelwind and "NO BAIT" can be used just Plugs and Jigs. There are spec's on the rod too... Not to exceed 7', and the butt is 12" max. and the foregrip 4" max. true "Plug Casting".

I sent Alan, a picture of my work bench full of 40 or so Shimano and Avet reels about 3 years ago, and he sent me a wrench.
It's still hanging on a hook, within easy reach.
Thanks Alan.

Thanks to all and have a great 2017 !!

captbruce

Anyway...
I will take the reels back apart in KW, and find out where I went wrong

Here's the picture
"Hang-Up and FISH" !!

akfish

Did you remove the cam behind the lever when you serviced the reels? If so, you may have put it back on incorrectly.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

SoCalAngler

AK,

The cam's in Avet reels are lightly pressed into the drag lever arm. So unless you tap/press it out of the lever you will not have the issue your talking about. Also, with the shape of the cam and the drag lever the cam can only be pressed/tapped back into place the correct way if ever removed.

The pics are gone (different photo sharing site than I use now) that showed the South Florida cam I installed into my JX 6/3 but went back to the stock cam. The reason I bring this up is the way the cam goes into the drag lever only way it can work. Most ld reels have their cam removable which can cause the issue of not being seated correctly but unless you press out the Avet cam you should not run across this. And, if you do press it out it will only fit back into the lever the correct way.

If the freespool was fine before the service and the spool and washers were taken off the shaft during the service my bet is there is something wrong in the beleville/washers stack or a spool bearing is either bad or not seated correctly.

If the beleville washers did come off the shaft make sure they go back like this on the LX and JX non Raptor line of reels.
))(())
I played around with the belivelle washers in just about every order and for me the only way to get the correct freespool was with the stock config.

akfish

i work on lots of Avets. The piece I am referring to may not be called the "cam." It is a silver colored piece that fits on the right side plate beneath the lever. That piece can be removed and may be put on incorrectly. This may not be the problem, of course, but it could be.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Alto Mare

It is the Cam Bill. Mark is right about the Belleville not being in the correct order, or some are not doing theirs  job. I will also say that you might be correct as well, the cam when not properly seated could cause problems  with freespool.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

SoCalAngler

AK,

What you and I are talking about as the cam is the same thing. Part number 29 on Avet's schematic, called the female cam.

In every Avet I have been into that part is snug into the drag lever, not tight but is needs some work to get it out of the lever arm.

I just took off the lever on my JX to show some pics.

Here is the lever with the "female cam" installed.

Here is the backside of the lever with the cam installed and as you can see even with the lever off and upside down the cam stays in place and does not fall out of the lever.

I chose not to press out the cam but in all of the Avet reels I have been into the cam snugly fits into the lever. Not very tight but it does need to be pushed off the lever. Also, if I did show the cam out of the lever with the two pieces apart you would be able to see that how the cam and lever mate together. These two parts will only fit together in a way that the "female cam" works correctly with the lever. If anyone tried to put them on a reel with the incorrect fit between the two you would never be able to get the lever onto the reel or you would notice something is very wrong.

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

captbruce

Thanks to you all for your input.

I did not remove the "female cam".
And I may be looking at the wrong schematic too.

This reel is stamped:
SN#JX6.0R-10093

as I remembered it has 6 bellevue washers and has NO Teflon washers at the lever.

These last two AVET's are still not packed yet.
I will try to make time to look inside again, before I go to Key West

The JX6.0 won't "totally" freespool at all and the MXL6 is 'totally" free in the BAIT setting, but not as free in FREE setting.
When you go to FREE the spool shifts to the left a bit.

captbruce
"Hang-Up and FISH" !!