cheap Ultra-sonic cleaners?

Started by mitchman, March 22, 2017, 04:49:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mitchman

I've seen some of the cheap ultrasonic jewelry cleaners on amazon for $30-50 and was wondering if they would work well to clean parts. I own about a dozen reels that I service every year. I would degrease parts before putting them in and mostly use it for gunked or corroded parts. I know that the cheap ones have small capacities but I would mostly just be putting small parts in anyways. Thoughts?

foakes

Sorry, Mitch --

Those little plastic ones will not work.

However, the Ultrasonic cleaners have come down so well in price -- you can get a very good one online made of stainless steel for a little over $100, I believe.

They need to have the solid state power, plenty of wattage, as well as the SS reservoir.

Keith (Handi2) bought a couple of these, I think -- and sez they work well.

Daron recently bought one, also.

Best,

Fred

This is $73 -- ebay -- free shipping
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Tiddlerbasher

Yep - bought the same 18 months ago - works fine and does the job. Can't say any more :)

Dominick

Yep!  I got one.  It works well. Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

handi2

I have them too and almost one year on one of them. It still works great.

I do like the heat function but don't let it get too hot in case you need to stick your hand in to get a parts that fell thru.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Shark Hunter

I still haven't used mine yet.
It will be there when I'm ready.
Life is Good!

oc1

Don't run them without a nearly full tank of liquid.  Without the weight of the liquid they will vibrate themselves to death.
-steve

Tiddlerbasher

A full tank of water (cleaner) is necessary to prevent overheating. Even without the heat facility, when run for a few minutes, it will get quite warm.

Don't forget you can also clean the wife's jewellery (except real pearls - they will disintegrate - a lot of semi-precious stones are in the same category) ;)
Always worth a few brownie points.

If you are a fan of vinyl records - they can also be cleaned very effectively and easily.

The larger cleaners have a tap for draining them - very useful ;)

mitchman

FatTuna

I've tried the jewelry cleaner ultrasonics and they do almost nothing to remove grease and grime. They are not powerful enough.

Tiddlerbasher

The one Fred indicated is not simply a jewellery cleaner - it is more than capable of cleaning our reels, as several of us already know.

FatTuna

I know, that's one of the Chinese made Ebay ultrasonics. I almost bought one of those but a friend gave me an old jewelry cleaner to test. It's one of the plastic ones. Doesn't do much.

Tightlines667

I love my labratory grade Fisher.  It has a large basin, and is more powerful then most.  Gotta be careful with shims, and dog springs though.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

handi2

Don't use it to remove grease. Use it to get metal parts shining better than new.

It will break down the corrosion on a chromed brass spool. The corrosion will then come off very easy.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Lensters

The cheapest one now is $64 + $6 shipping but it come with the UK power cord.  Is the power jack on the machine (where the power cord plugs in) the typical one where I could use one of my many old PC power cords?
Lensters is also known as Len and will respond when addressed as either.

Disclaimer: My opinions, are mine and mine alone.  They should not be ascribed to Alan, moderators or anyone else on this site.  However, should you wish to, you may adopt them as your own.