Shimano baitcaster- worm shaft washer thickness measurement.

Started by exp2000, May 02, 2017, 06:33:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

exp2000

Anybody cracking a low profile Shimano baitcaster?

I need a thickness measurement on BNT1671 - the small washer on the end of the worm shaft.

I think my stock may be out of spec.

BNT1671 is used in 76 reels:

http://www.ereplacementparts.com/worm-shaft-washer-p-1540725.html

Thanks,
Brett.

Zimbass

My spares are 0,3mm.

Some models use 2 spacers.

Cheers,

Terry.

Never was so much owed by so many to so few.

Cor

I need to start on one within a day or two, if you don't get the answer before then, Ill measure and  let you know.
Cornelis

exp2000

The reel I was working on was a Curado 2000G7.

I am beginning to think that this is another Curado G series glitch as this is the first time I have encountered this.

I have about six BNT1671 (worm shaft washer) in stock. I used one but the worm seized and would not turn.

I measured the original 0.2mm thick. However, my stock measured @ 0.3mm thick.

Reports suggest that 0.3mm does appear to be the correct thickness for this part leading me to only one conclusion.

One of the worm drive parts is slightly out of manufacturing tolerance and like the line guide / cap error which has extra washers to extend the bore, last minute adjustments have been made to compensate here also. In this case by substituting a thinner washer.

The Level wind protector BNT4334 is notably of poor manufacture with substantial gaps between the casing when assembled.
~

exp2000

Quote from: Cor on May 02, 2017, 08:33:58 AM
I need to start on one within a day or two, if you don't get the answer before then, Ill measure and  let you know.

If it is a G series Curado it would be interesting to know thanks.
~

exp2000

Quote from: Zimbass on May 02, 2017, 08:00:40 AM
My spares are 0,3mm.

Some models use 2 spacers.

Cheers,

Terry.

Thanks Terry.

exp2000

As coincidence would have it, I actually got the exact same model just come in.

Now to take some measurements :)
~

exp2000

And as coincidence would have it, there i no e-clip and washer on the end of the worm drive in this reel.

Oh well ! Back to you guys :)
~

Cor

I've just stripped a Tranx 500HG, it has the same part number at the same place, it measures 0.3mm.
Cornelis

exp2000

I had to replace the worm on the one I am just doing now, as the end where the e-clip fits was mangled!

Hence the missing washer. You have to wonder if there is a clue here?

I also replaced the worm shroud as there was some damage to the original.

This time the 0.3mm thick washer was an acceptable fit and the worm turned freely without hindrance.

What gives? Varying tolerances between the same part sets?

Beats me  ???
~

Zimbass

Perhaps more about owner abuse rather than manufacturer !

I believe the G series tolerances are very poor, and additional "spacers" are inserted at the factory to compensate for this.

Had the same issue with others of the same series, and just have to experiment with more/less washers.

Sad to see  :(

Cheers,

Terry.
Never was so much owed by so many to so few.

Cor

"Please note that the number of adjusting washers
may not be the same as shown in the exploded views.
(Adjustment will vary with each individual product.)"

I guess this notation on the Shimano Schematic tells us that the tolerances in the reels vary, so its not inconceivable that different thickness spacers will be used at places, I've done it myself.
Cornelis

exp2000

Wear and tear would result in looser tolerances, not tighter.

The problem here was not the number of washers. It was that the specified part number was not used in the assembly.

Furthermore, it could not be used without binding the rotation of the wormshaft on this individual reel.

It is notable that the washers which are used to extend the barrel of the line guide are not depicted in the schematic, confirming their deployment as an afterthought to correct a situation where a part was manufactured out of specification.

The same applies to the washer between BNT4334 (levelwind protector) and the gear-case, yet another correction.

These errors suggest to me that inconsistency on the part of this particular factory is not only possible but very likely.

When you contrast these errors with the usual precision of the subsequent I series, it suggests that the following manufacturing contract was understandably awarded to another factory.

Admittedly just theory, but one which represents the facts involved in this case.
~

Cor

Let me ad some more confusion to this.
I said above I am doing a complete service to a Tranx 500 HG with the same parts.  I've done these reels at least 12 times!   I've just assembled the worm gear and and guess what, the thing won't turn, or then more accurately it is extremely tight.
So re check that everything is according to schematic....YES
I re used old parts except both E clips, noticed one did not fit 100%   Made it slightly flatter by sanding it a little on 600grit water paper.    Slightly better but still too tight!     

Then did same to washer, took very little off, so little I can hardly see it on my calipers.   It turns a little better once again but still a bit too tight.

Is it possible that I used a different washer?, not likely, but it but it does measure 0,3 mm which seems correct.
Is it possible that the washer was installed differently when I dismantled it?  Very unlikely.

I am completely bowled over and have been fiddling with it for a few hours now.   I can not see anything wrong.    The shaft has quite a bit of wear but that can't be the problem, that will come later.

I hope I see the light soon because this is spooky.   

Perhaps the E clip on the other side is also a bit thicker then it should be.
Cornelis

exp2000

Quote from: Cor on May 05, 2017, 10:32:21 AM
Let me ad some more confusion to this.
I said above I am doing a complete service to a Tranx 500 HG with the same parts.  I've done these reels at least 12 times!   I've just assembled the worm gear and and guess what, the thing won't turn, or then more accurately it is extremely tight.
So re check that everything is according to schematic....YES
I re used old parts except both E clips, noticed one did not fit 100%   Made it slightly flatter by sanding it a little on 600grit water paper.    Slightly better but still too tight!    

Then did same to washer, took very little off, so little I can hardly see it on my calipers.   It turns a little better once again but still a bit too tight.

Is it possible that I used a different washer?, not likely, but it but it does measure 0,3 mm which seems correct.
Is it possible that the washer was installed differently when I dismantled it?  Very unlikely.

I am completely bowled over and have been fiddling with it for a few hours now.   I can not see anything wrong.    The shaft has quite a bit of wear but that can't be the problem, that will come later.

I hope I see the light soon because this is spooky.  

Perhaps the E clip on the other side is also a bit thicker then it should be.

Thanks for the confirmation.

I had a look through my Shimano stock hoping to find a washer of identical profile but 0.2mm thick rather than the standard 0.3mm but no luck. In the absence of a thinner match, sanding the washer down is about your only option here. Hopefully this kind of anomaly will remain the exception rather than becoming the rule.

Good of Shimano to throw in little brain teasers like this. Keeps you on your toes ;)
~